crazy idea: from debian to mint-debian edition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gcb

crazy idea: from debian to mint-debian edition

Post by gcb »

would i get away if i set apt/sources to a mint debian edition repositorie on my debian-stable box and do a dist upgrade?

...I don't have any dvds handy :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: crazy idea: from debian to mint-debian edition

Post by Gerd50 »

It's not a crazy idea, i have done it few weeks ago. First installed debian stable > upgraded to testing > added

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
to my sources.list > installed the mint packages i wanted and now have a mintified debian. I wanted to know if it works and
can say now, yes it does.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

One of the distros i am running is a mintified debian sId (debian's installer offers more options :wink: ).
Edit the sources as Gerd50 described, plus the linuxmint-keyring from the synaptic.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

How about mintified CrunchBang? According to an older topic it wasn't safe, but if Crunchbang is meant to be 100% backwards compatible with Debian then it seems like it should according to this topic...

I might attempt it on a VM...
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Aethyr wrote:How about mintified CrunchBang? According to an older topic it wasn't safe, but if Crunchbang is meant to be 100% backwards compatible with Debian then it seems like it should according to this topic...

I might attempt it on a VM...
My guess is that you can do this, but first you have to enable Debian testing repo's in your Crunchbang installation. Or you can get some ideas from that post:http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/443

But then, it depends to how "mintified" you want your system to be. For example, you can install -very easy- mintmenu, software center, etc -and not only in a debian based system. (eg mintmenu is available even in Arch's repos, if i am right)

Return to “LMDE Archive”