SOLVED no sound with audigy Z2S soundcard, please help?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
scotty33

SOLVED no sound with audigy Z2S soundcard, please help?

Post by scotty33 »

Hi, I'm Running Debian edition, release 1, I am not getting any sound, it seems I'm not alone, but all of the threads about this I have read, I have either not been able to interpret and carry out the advice given, or carried it out ok, but not resolved the issue.
I have a gnome desktop, the onboard sound is I think disabled in BIOS, the soundcard is I think aligned with 'slot'- 0.
I refreshed the alsa package earlier today,
I can copy and paste instructions into terminal, but have no real understanding of what to type
Some say to kill off pulse audio, I tried this it did not work, i.e. pulse audio is still present
I feel like i'm banging my head against a wall, no real way forward with this... I would appreciate some help :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: no sound with audigy Z2S soundcard, please help?

Post by Gerd50 »

Your Audigy 2 ZS is working with the emu10k1 chip. This chip normally makes no problems and there is no need to remove
pulseaudio from your system. Possibly your sound don't work, if pulse is not correctly deinstalled. First, the packages pulseaudio,
pulseaudio-utils, paman, pavucontrol and gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio should be installed. Make sure they are.

Second, don't think your onboard chip is disabled in the BIOS, make sure it is.

Third, try

Code: Select all

sudo alsactl restore
to get sound.
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Thanks for the reply, I looked at the packages you mentioned, I attempted to install those that were missing and update the others.
I think I ended up installing all of the available updates for my mint install, probably gnome 3? etc
I am now unable to boot into mint, it runs the usual start up 'scripts' but ends with :

('hal' is the host name of my computer)

Linux Mint Debian Edition hal tty1hal login:

If I type my password after the above line, it then asks for the password. I set one password when I configured mint, I don't have a login?

It is the same if I try to boot into mint recovery mode. I need to find a way in before I can see if there is any sound?!!
Last edited by scotty33 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

For me it looks like you have ruined your system (i read your other thread too). If i were you i would install LMDE new.
It's mostly faster done than searching for an error like you report here. After you installed new, at first install qt4-fsarchiver

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... FDebian-6/

and make a backup of your system. Then customize the system like you want to have it. If something wents wrong you can't fix,
use the backup. After successful steps of customizing it's a good idea to backup again.
Last edited by Gerd50 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Thanks for the reply.

Situation sounds terminal (excuse the pun), back up would be agood thing to do in future, thanks for the link, will try it!

Cheers

Andrew
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

I reinstalled a newer version of mint debian edition and ran the auto updates, still no sound. I have downloaded the archiving program but no idea what exactly I need to back up, or how to do it?
In the mean time I will update the packages suggested above, this has entailed upgrading other dependant packages as follows:

libasound2 (version 1.0.23-4) will be upgraded to version 1.0.24.1-2
libasound2-plugins (version 1.0.23-2) will be upgraded to version 1.0.24-2
libpulse-browse0 (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
libpulse-mainloop-glib0 (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
libpulse0 (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
pulseaudio (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
pulseaudio-esound-compat (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
pulseaudio-module-gconf (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
pulseaudio-module-x11 (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
pulseaudio-utils (version 0.9.21-4.1) will be upgraded to version 0.9.23-1
paman (version 0.9.4-1) will be installed
pavucontrol (version 0.9.9-1) will be installed
pavumeter (version 0.9.3-1) will be installed

More to record what I have done than anything else!
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

I have this:

andrew@hal ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Audigy2 ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]
SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] (rev.4, serial:0x20021102) at 0xd400, irq 18
andrew@hal ~ $

I believe this shows the onboard sound is disabled and the Audigy card is on 0 as it should be?
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Updates have not helped, still no sound
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi Andrew,

yes your Audigy SB is shown correctly. Now install gnome-alsamixer and check whether Tone, Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack
and if use an External Amplifier these three are enabled. If IEC958 Optical Raw is enabled, disable it.

If you don't know how to use the archiver read here - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=89189 -
and if you have questions, ask there please.
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Gerd50 wrote:Hi Andrew,

yes your Audigy SB is shown correctly. Now install gnome-alsamixer and check whether Tone, Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack
and if use an External Amplifier these three are enabled. If IEC958 Optical Raw is enabled, disable it.

Sorry for the delay in this, I now have Mint 12 installed on another partition, the sound works perfectly?
I have installed gnome-alsamixer and enabled/disabled the features as above, still no sound unfortunately
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Sorry, i don't understand. You have sound in Mint 12, but not in LMDE? If so, check whether there is a asound.rc in /etc
with the content:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
If the file does not exist, create it.
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Thanks for the reply, I have sound with Mint 12 but no sound with LMDE.

I have not run the check you suggest, I do not know what to type or where to type it? :oops:
I am still at the bottom of this learning curve and I really appreciate your patience so far
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Copy and paste into the terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/asound.rc
If you get something like file not found, you have to create it. For doing that open your filesystem, then the folder /etc
as administrator (root). Right click on it and choose 'Neues Dokument anlegen' :) Sorry, i don't know what it is in english.
Possibly 'Create new document' ? Rename the new document to asound.rc and then copy and paste

pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
into it.
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I followed them OK. I now have the file asound.rc and it has the content you specified.

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, I do not have any sound.

Would it help if I posted screenshots of my hardware configs? I think it is correct, but would not really know?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Sorry, i forgot to write that you have to restart your pc after creating asound.rc
scotty33

Post by scotty33 »

Gerd50 wrote:Sorry, i forgot to write that you have to restart your pc after creating asound.rc
I guessed that a restart may be needed, I did that before posting back. It must be something else?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I don't believe it :o

Ok, let's work trough the checklist:
gnome-alsamixer is installed, nothing muted?
PCM is up to about 80 % ? (Try Wave up to about 80 % too)
Tone, Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack and External Amplifier are enabled?
IEC958 Optical Raw is disabled?

What is the ouput of

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav 
?
scotty33

SOLVED. Re: no sound with audigy Z2S soundcard, please help?

Post by scotty33 »

The Aplay command ran ok but did not put out sound.

I looked at the Alsamixer settings and audigy analog was disabled, enabled this and we now have sound! Strangely it does not seem to make any difference, whether IEC958 and ext amplifier are enabled or not, sound still works either way?
I can't understand how I left the settings wrong, but I must have done so, I apologise for this.
I really appreciate all the support you have given me. Without your help I would never have any sound.

thanks

Andrew
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi Andrew,

good news from you :D
With IEC958 all i know is, i don't have sound if it's enabled. Sometimes after updates it happens that i find it enabled.
It's always my first check, if the sound died. Ext amp needs to be enabled only if an external amp is connected with the
sound card.

To mark the thread as solved, please open your first post and add solved to the subject. Thanks :wink:
Marcus007

Re: SOLVED no sound with audigy Z2S soundcard, please help?

Post by Marcus007 »

Hi,

I have the same problem as Scotty. I'm running linux LMDE xfce with audigy 2ZS soundcard and, of course, no sound!!!
I tried to solve the problem with your recommendations without success :(

I have this :

marcus@marcus_pc ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK8S           ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
                      NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at irq 20
 1 [UART           ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
                      MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 5
 2 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]
                      SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] (rev.4, serial:0x20021102) at 0xb800, irq 19
I would appreciate some help

Marcus

Return to “LMDE Archive”