Is this the final stable Linux Mint 12?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
THpubs

Is this the final stable Linux Mint 12?

Post by THpubs »

Several days ago we saw the stable ISOs in some mirrors.... People started to download them. After that, they started disappearing! Now, we see them again! A new version... Can I please know whether this is the final? When will you announce the release?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Is this the final stable Linux Mint 12?

Post by tdockery97 »

It is the provisional final. The previous one was removed because of some showstopping bug. This one could be too. If you download before the announcement on the blog, you risk the same thing happening again.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
THpubs

Post by THpubs »

tdockery97 wrote:It is the provisional final. The previous one was removed because of some showstopping bug. This one could be too. If you download before the announcement on the blog, you risk the same thing happening again.
Do you know whats the exact bug?
VanR

Post by VanR »

Sadly it wasn't very stable for me. I have installed and uninstalled LM12 twice now because everytime I browse the internet with firefox and listen to music with Banshee my computer would eventually lock up. Music still played, but the mouse and keyboard would become dead. Had to kill the computer with the power button on front. I saw a post that said this was a Banshee problem, but I installed Rhythmbox and got the same results. Now I'm back to Zorin OS 5 again until someone tells this bug is fixed.
MickeyRat

Post by MickeyRat »

This is an acknowledged bug in the media player shell extension. You can turn it off in advanced settings. Restart gnome and you won't lock up. You also won't have that cool music doodad in the status bar. There is a supposedly different media player extension that's not supposed to have the problem you can find out about that one at http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/gnome-sh ... nsion.html. Once installed, it'll show up as media player indicator in advanced settings. That didn't work for me. It locked up just like the original.

The thing is that until I had that extension I didn't miss it. Once I found out that it was the cause of my lock ups, I really missed it. The only thing that's worked for me is to switch to the audacious music player. It has a plugin that does much the same thing that works and doesn't cause lock ups. I'd rather be using banshee though.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The media player extension of the shell is working fine for me, however, with Banshee.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
VanR

Post by VanR »

I turned off the media player extension and installed another one from gnome-extensions.com and I've had no more problems with freeze-ups.
MickeyRat

Post by MickeyRat »

AlbertP wrote:The media player extension of the shell is working fine for me, however, with Banshee.
Apparently it's not everyone but, it's on the bug list.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/892316
VanR wrote:I turned off the media player extension and installed another one from gnome-extensions.com and I've had no more problems with freeze-ups.
That address doesn't work but, it's probably the alternative extension that I put in my post. Several people have said that it works which is why I mentioned it. It just didn't work for me. :(
VanR

Post by VanR »

MickeyRat wrote:
AlbertP wrote:The media player extension of the shell is working fine for me, however, with Banshee.
Apparently it's not everyone but, it's on the bug list.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/892316
VanR wrote:I turned off the media player extension and installed another one from gnome-extensions.com and I've had no more problems with freeze-ups.
That address doesn't work but, it's probably the alternative extension that I put in my post. Several people have said that it works which is why I mentioned it. It just didn't work for me. :(
Sorry it's

https://extensions.gnome.org/

Return to “Non-technical Questions”