[solved] HDMI Sound

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kruijf

[solved] HDMI Sound

Post by kruijf »

I want to use my HDMI on my Dell inspiron 1525, how do i get the sound working.
One time i had sound whit VLC, but is it also possible to get the sound from your browser (chrome) whit HDMI?
This is my grub:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Must i do the same as in this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 07#p463780 ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DoctorBho

Re: HDMI Sound

Post by DoctorBho »

I am not an expert on your machine but I had to run through a lot of things to get an HTPC I built (Lucid & XBMC based) to use HDMI, mainly by updating ALSA. Debian testing doesn’t need the updating though.

I apologise if this is too basic, but the fact that you had sound in VLC makes it appear that HDMI is working, but you are not outputting to it.

Here are a few suggestions from a non-expert:

1) Run "alsamixer" in a terminal, and check that your HDMI is recognised (alsamixer uses various function keys to operate, but has on screen instructions. I am on an XP computer here and can’t check). Possibly choose it as default.

2) Click on the sound icon to get the pulseaudio preferences and change the output to HDMI.

3) VLC and SMPlayer have options to change the sound output. I use SMPlayer, and in the preferences, if I set sound output to ALSA 0,3 (choose from a drop down list), I get the hdmi output. You can feel your way through the VLC menus to find the equivalent. This won’t help with the browser though.

If your problem is deeper than that, I won’t be able to help - but hopefully it is simpler than you think!
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Whit alsamixer i dont see HDMI some where, here is a screenshot of my alsamixer:

My system has a intel graphic card.
DoctorBho

Post by DoctorBho »

That appears to be Gnome alsamixer, which I am not familiar with, but appears to be higher level than just plain alsamixer.

Try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
Then, after that is done, in a terminal:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
The program looks like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... amixer.png

F6 changes your sound card.

I hope I am not leading you up the garden path here, but you must have internal speakers as well as the hdmi, so I would expect "Default" plus two other choices to come up.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I know alsamixer from the terminal, iff i do F6 i get default and 0 HDA Intel.
But i dont see HDMI in it, whit vlc i can choose HDA Intel: HDMI 0 (hw:0,3).
Only in the mixer i dont see the HDMI.
DoctorBho

Post by DoctorBho »

Well, I am not an expert in ALSA, but I managed to get my stuff working by following this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_ ... ,_or_GT240

A lot of which was nvidia specific, but near the end it explains how to configure pulseaudio to see the hdmi out, so that might help you.

Maybe someone else has better suggestions...

Good luck!
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Its for Nvidia and not for Intel, i can not find the solution for me there.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Return to “LMDE Archive”