strange home directory name change

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
victorsk

strange home directory name change

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

I recently installed LMDE version on my new machine at work and I noticed a bizarre name change when I SSH to LMDE machine remotely. What happens is when I cd to my home directory, just type 'cd home', the name 'home' changes to 'hmee' :shock:

So, at the prompt it says: "victor hmee #"

if I pwd, I get the right name "/home", but at the prompt it says "hmee".

Has anyone noticed this? Is it some kind of a funny trick in this LMDE version?

Thanks,
Victor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xircon

Re: strange home directory name change

Post by xircon »

Yeh, I have occasionally noticed this in normal operations in a terminal as well. Don't know what causes it, but as you say pwd returns the correct info.

Cheers

Steve
scotte

Post by scotte »

What's your PS1 set to? I.e.:

Code: Select all

$ echo $PS1
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

scotte wrote:What's your PS1 set to? I.e.:

$ echo $PS1
Hi I get this response:

${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;31m\]\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \$\[\033[00m\]
I have no idea what this means :?

EDIT:
------
Just to add, I also installed LMDE on my 32-bit laptop but the anomaly in question is not happening on my laptop. The 'echo $PS1' command on my laptop also gives the following:

${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;31m\]\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \$\[\033[00m\]
Which looks the same as the output on the machine with the problem. The machine with that strange home directory name is 64-bit, if that makes any difference.
Last edited by victorsk on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xircon

Post by xircon »

${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\]
Similar but not identical (and just as mystical :))
scotte

Post by scotte »

PS1 is the prompt, and I wanted to see how it was configured. In neither case does it appear the prompt you are seeing is coming from PS1, which is curious. Both \w and \W are tokens for the directory name, but you should see '~' (tilde) when in your home directory, not 'home' (and certainly not 'hmee'!). Also, in the case for you victorsk, PS1 shows your prompt terminating with a '$', but your example shows a '#'! Very, very odd.

[EDIT] Ah-ha, here you go! http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=590052
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

Awesome! Thank you very much for the link, scotte. Now I can learn more about this problem :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”