Fspot out and digikam in.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

theres an arugement going on in the fiesty forum about digikam vs f-spot vs gthumb, im personally on the gthumb side of things, it has all the featurs f-spot has, doesnt fsck with your filesystem and ISNT a mono app, mono apps all cause huge cpu spikes on my PC seriously mono sucks.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Stupid question: Why do you even need such apps? I setup my digicam so that it presents itself as disk drive when connected to my PC's. I connect it, GNOME or KDE tell me that there is a new disk drive, I open that new "drive", copy my photos, and voila, I'm done.

Seriously ... what's the purpose of f-spot, gthumb or digikam ... ?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

What Amarok is to your music, F-Spot want to be to your pictures. You can play an mp3 just by clicking on it, but Amarok is there if you want to browse an entire collection, search, sort, organize...

F-Spot is there to do the same for pictures.

Now, having said that.. I do the same as you. USB mass storage... open nautilus, copy to Home/Pictures and browse with Nautilus.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote: F-Spot is there to do the same for pictures.
Hmmm .. OK, might make sense if you have zillions of pictures. But I use my filemanager for this, e.g. all my pictures of my summer holidays 2005 are in a folder "SummerHolidays2005", and so on, so I don't have any trouble at all finding what I want.
clem wrote: I do the same as you. USB mass storage... open nautilus, copy to Home/Pictures and browse with Nautilus.
Bingo, can't get easier than that :D
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I like digikam's printing features. In gnome, you need to get gnome-photo-printer to get the same function.

I'm also finding gnome to be quite memory hungry. I had to run my main Pc with only 512M ram for a week or so and it was painful. Never had that issue with KDE.

Mint is the first time I really used gnome for a long period of time and I'm not sure it is really for me. I prefer KDE and although I gave gnome a shot, it just doesn't feel like home.

F-spot hosed a few of my pictures as I transferred them as it locked up and corrupted the images on the server.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I just installed gthumb and have been playing with it. It has a decent print interface and does all the important things fspot can do.

I'd dump mono altogether which also means getting rid of beagle. Beagle was the app that caused my memory usage to skyrocket when I only had 512M in the box so I got rid of it. I believe tomboy is also a mono app.

Mono is something we could all do without IMHO.

Gthumb instead of fspot
Get rid of Mono and all the apps that depend on it.

Thats my 2 cents!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”