customizing my desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iamclueless

customizing my desktop

Post by iamclueless »

ok quick newbie questions

running Cassandra XFCE so much of what ive read in the forum dont apply when it comes to tweaking the look

someone clarify a few things for me

Beryl and Emerald are basically there to make things look pretty?????? how do you use the emerald themes that are previewed???

i got slow comp so probably stick with the xfce window manager

can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3 managers? beryl compiz and xmfw4

i am assuming i can remove beryl emerald and envy safely since i probably wont ever need them... will this make any difference in performance?

Finally how do i edit the system entries in the menu?? i know in puppy i could open the actual file and provide a link to the file and the icon i want with it. how do i do this in mint?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: customizing my desktop

Post by lakehousetech »

Probably a good idea to avoid the effects on an older computer....they can also goof up the operation of some games you might want to toy with.
molom

Post by molom »

If there is anyone that is interested in effects on Mint, try out the Linux Mint E17 edition, when it comes out.

Cheers,
molom
cutiger95

Post by cutiger95 »

Molom,

Do you know what day the E17 is suppose to hit the repositories? What will I need to do to install that desktop? Currently I am running the gnome platform but this old laptop has a hard time keeping up and sometimes freezes for a second or five.

Thanks
molom

Post by molom »

cutiger95 wrote:Molom,

Do you know what day the E17 is suppose to hit the repositories? What will I need to do to install that desktop? Currently I am running the gnome platform but this old laptop has a hard time keeping up and sometimes freezes for a second or five.

Thanks
What do you exactly mean? You can install E17 using this link on any distro - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... hlight=e17
If you are talking about the Linux Mint E17 distro, that will be coming out January 2008.
If anybody has any questions or recommendations for the Linux Mint E17 distro use this blog - http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
molom

Return to “Beginner Questions”