Compiz - Autostart fail

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jp734

Compiz - Autostart fail

Post by jp734 »

For a long time, I've never had any problem with my system. Compiz, conky (3 windows) and AWN started automatically and ran properly. Until one day I decided to try CAIRO-DOCK. After installing cairo-dock, when I boot my computer, the screen will flicker 10 or more times, conky will only show 1 window and compiz is not started. Cairo-dock looked a lot better than AWN but since it messed up my system, I decided to uninstall it. But of course, I still get the same problem after removing it. I reinstalled compiz but to no effect. I ran compiz-check and I did get a lot of errors. There's probably about 50 lines of them. Example below:

/usr/share/themes/Cukoo-spit/gtk-2.0/iconrc:5: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "stock_volume.svg".

I checked the iconrc file and pixmap_path is configured to "/opt/gnome2/share/icons/Gorilla/scalable/stock" which doesn't exist. I only have Adobe folder under /opt. What could have caused this?

Also, I want you to know that if I run "compiz --replace" on terminal, IT WORKS. I am using Mint 9 Isadora XFCE.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Compiz - Autostart fail

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

jp734 wrote:For a long time, I've never had any problem with my system. Compiz, conky (3 windows) and AWN started automatically and ran properly. Until one day I decided to try CAIRO-DOCK. After installing cairo-dock, when I boot my computer, the screen will flicker 10 or more times, conky will only show 1 window and compiz is not started. Cairo-dock looked a lot better than AWN but since it messed up my system, I decided to uninstall it. But of course, I still get the same problem after removing it. I reinstalled compiz but to no effect. I ran compiz-check and I did get a lot of errors. There's probably about 50 lines of them. Example below:

/usr/share/themes/Cukoo-spit/gtk-2.0/iconrc:5: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "stock_volume.svg".

I checked the iconrc file and pixmap_path is configured to "/opt/gnome2/share/icons/Gorilla/scalable/stock" which doesn't exist. I only have Adobe folder under /opt. What could have caused this?

Also, I want you to know that if I run "compiz --replace" on terminal, IT WORKS. I am using Mint 9 Isadora XFCE.

Thanks.
Try adding "compiz" to your autostart menu. Open up the terminal and type in "gksu thunar," which will open the file manager as root. Copy and paste the code below to File System>etc>xdg>autostart>make "new file", then paste the contents in there and save as "compiz autostart.desktop"

This is what the file should look like:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Compiz Autostart
Comment=Compiz autostart
Exec=compiz
Terminal=false
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;LXDE;
#X-GNOME-AutoRestart=true

Name[en_US]=compiz-autostart.desktop
Save it and restart your computer. If it works, great; if not, pm me.
If you are also interested in using xcompmgr instead of compiz, look at this post which is a guide made by me, and it works for LXDE, XFCE, KDE, and GNOME. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=82563
mbalazs81

Post by mbalazs81 »

Hello
In the /etc/xdg/autostart/ can I set the programs sequence, which one should start first?
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

It doesn't matter the order they are in; just add whatever program you want to start on a new line.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

You might try Xfce Mintdesktop and set compiz to start on boot and the compiz fusion-icon in auto start.

I found with these two I can leave off the compiz auto start.

You might also check to see if the Xfce integration plugin for Cario Dock is installed.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”