how to use Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kit2hugh

how to use Wine

Post by kit2hugh »

A very newbie here and I have downloaded wine to see if I could download a favorite programme I used on Windows and use it.
I get the refuse sign, and to the life of me I cannot understand the directions of how to use the Terminal ( I think).

Can anyone tell me step by step or where to find the info to easy way.

The programme I am trying to download is Ashampoo Burning Studio 10. I know there is Linux burners but I am familuar with Ashampoo.

Regards

Hugh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: how to use Wine

Post by gn2 »

Which is it you're struggling with, installing Wine or installing Ashampoo?

Wine can be installed through Software Manager, Synaptic Package Manager or this simple terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wine
Looks like Ashampoo doesn't work with Wine, linky imo it's always better to learn how to use native Linux applications than to struggle with Wine and Windows ones.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

I know almost nothing about WINE, know what it is blahblahblah. Not much else, can understand why it's used ( even think it's cool, that opensource devs can do that kind of thing.) To me using windows installed in gnu/nix borders on software sacrilege anyway. Well poss freedos ? or whatever, which I also never bothered catching a clue about. So probably don't know wth am saying, shrugs. Lol ... then there's people who install gnu/Linux like it's a common prog under windows ... wubi, mint4win. D:

Why would anyone install a superior OS, like it's an app under a craptastic one like windows ? Only goes to show how amazing opensource is, how adaptable it is and talented the people who came up with all this stuff are ...

Actually intended to post summin useful. A link I got from a post gn2 made on the topic of gnu/nix Sec, don't know if WINE is any sec concern or not, mentioned don't use it myself. But still since gn2 posted here ... It rang a bell and thought I'd post the other link he'd provided in another thread too. Link
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I have found xfburn to be equal to or better than ashampoo. Xfburn has a slow setting, good for burning .iso's so that you almost always get a clean operating system install from the disk.
Katyanewb

Post by Katyanewb »

Just curious, but what's wrong with Brasero, which is the default burning software in mint 11 and 12? I've used it about 30 times in the past two months and have made exactly one bad DVD--which Brasero itself told me was bad after the checksum procedure. Plus it's about twice as fast as any Windows DVD burning software I've ever used.
hefff

Post by hefff »

lmintnewb wrote:I know almost nothing about WINE, know what it is blahblahblah.
do u play games?

Return to “Software & Applications”