Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Post by clem »

Hi,

The first BETA of Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna Fluxbox Community Edition was released. Maintained in Romania by Shane Joe Lazar, this edition replaces Gnome with Fluxbox to provide a much more lightweight operating system.

Release Notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_fluxbox.php
Download: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Please test it heavily and submit your bugs and comments by replying in this thread.

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Post by exploder »

Thanks for making this available and thanks to all involved in the project! I am downloading the Fluxbox Community Edition now. I am anxious to check it out!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have been looking over the Fluxbox Edition by using the Live CD at the moment and let me be the first to say,WOW! This is by far the most complete and balanced fluxbox based distribution I have ever seen! Here are some of the things I thought were very noteable.

1) The theme has the mint look and is consistent in all applications.

2) The logon and logoff sounds have a nice fresh sound to them.

3) Conky has a Mint look to it! (Nice touch!)

4) Tools are included for user's on dial up connections. (Nice to see a distribution that considers these user's.)

5) Very good balance of light applications for speed and applications that are very functional such as Firefox and Thunderbird.

There are so many good things it is hard to list them all! There is a very impressive list of applications This certainly has all of the potential to start a new standard in Fluxbox based distributions!

So far running from the Live CD I have only found very minor imperfections.

1) The residual config files need to be removed before the final release. ( Yes, I am a stickler for this and look for this in any distribution.)

2) Shoutcast will not play with MPlayer or Exail. All other media types I tried worked perfectly. (Nice Exail Theme!)

3) Some icons need removed from within the various sections of "Auto-Generated Menu. This is very minor but it would keep the consistency of the rest of the menu.

4) Under Window Managers in the menu, Metacity is listed if a user selects it they need to Ctrl, Alt, Backspace and log back on to use the system again. I would remove the Metacity from this menu to avoid this. Just a suggestion. Edit: Metacity does not appear when installed to HDD.

I have not tested all of the Mint tools as the release notes mention them but I will check them out when I install the beta on my test HDD. I would also like to ask if a wallpaper entry could be put in the menu to change wallpapers. Edit: I found "Wallpaper Chooser" in the system menu!

This is a very impressive beta! Anyone that enjoys Fluxbox has got to experience this for themselves! Words simply can not express how good this beta is, it is some of the finest and well thought out work I have ever seen! My thanks go out to all that have worked to make this happen. Brilliant work!
Last edited by exploder on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Wonderful with fast download servers - downloaded both the Fluxbox beta and Debian alfa in a matter of minutes
I have so far run it in Virtualbox - of course not the best way to get the feel of speed, but I've got a reasonably fast computer (Athlon 64 3700+ and 2 GB memory)
Just before the desktop appeared there was some odd artifact - the words Fluxbox and Mint in some grey foreground.
/Edit/ It's the splash in some distorted way //Edit again/Has to do with Virtualbox I got the same with Daryna standard gnome live CD i Virtualbox
And I don't find the menu.... This can be ignorance on my side about fluxbox, but anyway
/Edit/ Indeed it was - right click the desktop :)
Very nice start up music!
Have to do some more testing....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have the beta installed to a hdd now for testing. I am really enjoying the beta so far!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I discovered that OpenOffice is installed by default but there are no menu entries and OpenOffice still has the Ubuntu Splash and openabout.

Edit: Found OpenOffice Writer. It is in Auto-generated Menu/Applications/Office/OpenOffice.org Writer
Last edited by exploder on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Found another bug. When I start to play a DVD movie with MPlayer I get this error.

gnome_screensaver_control()
OK

The movie will play even with the error on the screen and clicking on "OK" gets rid of the message.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Looks good so far. I didn't get to spend much time with it yet but I like it. Will it work good on a box with 128m of ram?
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

exploder wrote:I discovered that OpenOffice is installed by default but there are no menu entries and OpenOffice still has the Ubuntu Splash and openabout.

Edit: Found OpenOffice Writer. It is in Auto-generated Menu/Applications/Office/OpenOffice.org Writer
I found Abiword is installed and not Openoffice for me. In fact running 'openoffice' from a command says it's not installed.

What am I missing?

BTW: I'm running live not installed.
sayanriju
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sayanriju »

Congratulations to Shane for the beta release! I know how hard he has worked on this. :)

I'd just like to say a word about the size of the iso, which might seem a bit too big at 513 megs!
Fluxbox is traditionally associated to low end systems, but Mint Fluxbox Edition tries to change that mindset. It is not really meant for systems with low resources, but rather it aims to make the best of a system with 'normal' configuration through the use of Fluxbox as its WM/DE.
That justifies the inclusion of 'heavy' programs like Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc, which you don't often see with a Fluxbox distro!

Keep up the good work, Shane! :)
wubuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wubuntu »

Hi,

I wanna try this fluxbox-edition.
How stable is it? Is it as stable as the XFCE Beta I'm using?

Thanx
Xgamer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Xgamer »

I have problem with Daryna Fluxbox it doesn´t boot, that the linux kernel didn´t found :| Can you help me?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I found that the user Mint exists in mintConfig > Login Window > Security
Enable Automatic login
and
Enable timed login
when it's installed
Just installed in Virtualbox
EdwardsNH

Post by EdwardsNH »

Like all Linux Mint CDs, I can get it to run fine on my Desktop, but my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7500 PII 433Mhz) give me a:

"WARNING: Not loading blacklisted module ipv6"

list a bunch of other "loading" stuff

repeats the warning, then stops after reading:

"Saving VESA state..."

Repeat, this is on all Linux Mint CDs (Other Linux Distros run fine)

Is this a known bug?
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ EdwardsNH
IPv6 is blacklisted by default in all Mint - as long as no one is using it and as it can be a big problem we might as well
I would guess you get the same with Ubuntu - it's that for some reason the "video section" of Mint does not like your laptop - ATI by any chance? (but nvidia gives trouble too in some cases)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Hi all!

First of all thanks to all of you who have downloaded, tested and given you feedback on this beta... I am following this thread as often as I can... However, I am not at home right now... I am on holiday visiting my parents, and will be here for a few more weeks at least... The internet connection here is very slow and expensive... so please bear with me if my feedback is not prompt and doesnt cater for everyone... for now can you offer solutions to each other's problems... there's a good chance it will be better than what i have to offer... and i will incorporate the fixes in the next release...

keep testing!

shane.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Well, I'm booted into the live cd of Daryna Fluxbox ce right now and so far i love it!
runs really nice on this old p3 866Mhz! Nice job Shane!!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Husse found this bug and I found the same when I set my system to auto log.

I found that the user Mint exists in mintConfig > Login Window > Security
Enable Automatic login
and
Enable timed login
when it's installed

Here is how to fix this bug

Open the terminal.

Type, sudo thunar and enter your password.

Open "Filesystem" and delete the "mint" folder. (The mint folder is an empty folder.)

The user mint will no longer appear.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have Shoutcast .PLS files working. The fix for this was to install Xmms. Could someone else that has the beta installed confirm this? I tried several things before I came up with an answer.

Is this a fix that the community would like? Has anyone else come up with another answer?

If this is an acceptable solution we could find a Minty skin for the default Xmms theme.

Here is one suggestion for a theme http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=58688
molom

Post by molom »

I don't get it... How come Linux Mint has all the best releases? LM KDE is better than PCLOS by far, LM Gnome is better than every distro and this Fluxbox edition is better than any Fluxbox distro. I hope Linux Mint E17 will be the best E17 distro! MINT RULZ!!!

Cheers,
molom
Last edited by molom on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software & Applications”