Google Earth strange display

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fuherb

Google Earth strange display

Post by fuherb »

Hi,

I run into an issue when using Google Earth. I have LMDE, with intel display chips.

The issue is that the different segments (squares) of the satillate image do not match. So I may have 1 square showing California while the one next to it showing New York CIty. It seems that the display cannot respond quick enough to the changes. Any suggestions on what I can check?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fuherb

Re: Google Earth strange display

Post by fuherb »

Not sure if I made myself clear in the last post as I did not hear any suggestion.

I try to link here a screen capture image of the google earth display, you can see that N. America is kind of messed up.

Hope this can generate some idea from you.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

If you start Google Earth via terminal with the command googleearth, do you get error messages?

What you can try is install another GE version via deb package in order to see if it has the same error.
GE 5.1 is working proper in my LMDE. - http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=124089 -
fuherb

Post by fuherb »

Starting GE via terminal gives the same problem, and no error message pops up.
The GE I installed is the Mint deb version in the repository.

I incline to believe that it is not GE that is having an issue, but the intel grahpic setup in xorg is having some compatibility issue here. But I do not know how to push forward.

Reinstalling another version will be the last resort in my list.

Thanks
Arran

Post by Arran »

I have with a boring slow Connection (max 60 kib/sec) the version GE 6.0.3.2197, which works absolutely to my satisfaction.

I have it via
The word main is in Synaptic not in bold.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

That is what i thought, problems with 3D acceleration. IF GE installed via deb package brings the same issue, the suspicion
would be confirmed.

What do you get with

Code: Select all

lspci | grep VGA
and

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep rendering
fuherb

Post by fuherb »

Here are the outputs:

fuh@fuh ~ $ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
fuh@fuh ~ $ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
fuh@fuh ~ $

Seems OK.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Do you have desktop effects enabled and a very high cpu usage with this chip set? If so, disable desktop effects.

Then try to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in order to get a better performance. In the subsection "Display" you should have
the entry "virtual". Minimize the defined resolution or delete the entry. Don't forget to save the xorg.conf before you edit it.
fuherb

Post by fuherb »

Thanks

I do not have any 3D graphics program activiated so I do not have high cpu usage.

Also, there is no xorg.conf file now as the system does not require one. I am not sure if I might create one manually to try to fix some setup?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

hmm, what i wrote above is all i could find out about your chip set. I think create a xorg.conf manually is not a good idea.
That could end in a blackscreen. For now i have no idea how to get your GE work proper.
fuherb

Post by fuherb »

Thanks anyhow

Return to “LMDE Archive”