Very inconsistent login behavior

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
se2131

Very inconsistent login behavior

Post by se2131 »

For the past few months, I've been having a lot of issues with the login for Linux Mint. I'm running the 64-bit edition and am running compiz as well

When I start up, occasionally it works fine on the first try. Most of the time it may:

1) Not show my desktop
2) Not show gnome-panel
3) Not start gnome-do
4) May have 1 or more panel applet errors (asking me if I want to delete the applet). It varies which applet doesn't work (such as clock, mint menu, indicator applet, system load applet, etc).

Any combination of the above happen frequently. I usually have to log out and log in 2-3 times (and the behavior changes each time I do this) before it logs in with everything correct.

I realize that I'm not giving enough information to diagnose this right away, please let me know whatever logs or other info is needed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrMartinus

Re: Very inconsistent login behavior

Post by DrMartinus »

I just had a similar experience. Yesterday evening, I enabled autologin for me. This morning I started my PC, and found that it showed me the list of bootup-procedures (which processes were turned on), it stopped at a line with something related to ALSA. I thought I wait a while, but no go. After five to ten minutes I rebooted. The same thing. Then I, more for fun than being serious, I switched to the second console (ALT-F2) and found the login prompt there: Mint was waiting for me there. It had disabled the graphical login and in turn enabled the console login.
After login, I got the console, but no gnome. Now I typed in "startx", and gnome started, but without gnome-panel, so no menu, nothing. The desktop behaved as if it was Nautilus. No way to get to some basic gnome commands. After two tries (in the second I ran "gnome-panel" in the gnome-console, which brought me a panel, but not the Mint one) I figured that I might need to disable autologin. Et voilà: everything was back to normal. The only - annoying - thing now: I have to login each time I start the PC. OK, it's security relevant, but no one else gets to my PC. In Mint 11, I always had autologin enabled.
Now, in Mint 12, it doesn't seem possible. :-(
se2131

Post by se2131 »

I tried disabling auto-login, but I still seem to have the same issues. Not sure where to go from here
webass

Post by webass »

Hi !
I am excactly having the same issues here.
My story is that I have Linux Mint 12 installed and today before I left the house, wanted to tset off autologin, because my Password is kind of radical.

Came back from the travel and it gives out only things like "Checking battery state" [OK] and stops
or stops at trying to start apache!
Always the same two scenarios.
I also updated my xorg drivers after I started synaptic from console.
The same stuff over and over again.
Only startx gives me the desktop, and I would need to use the terminal for everything.

I also think,that the setting for auto login is set to off (it is grey not blue)

Dont know what to do further on.
Anybody any idea?

Cheers.
Andre

EDIT: I cannot use startx anymore, the screen now stays black.
I will try to set off autologin per terminal now.
EDIT 2: Now I set it off and get the login prompt. I have to choose either GNOME, GNOME Classic or the others but after login try I receive this message: "Could not update /home/username/.ICEauthority file" and cannot do anything against it after trying several solutions with chown and dpkg-reconfigure nautilus.

This starts to become really annoying, just because setting the autologin to ON once. :shock:

EDIT 3: I ended up in installing LXDE, so that I could start my work right now.
This really wasnt fun.
I will later try to get rid of everything that has to do with gnome and then start thinking what argument will make me install Gnome ever again.

Return to “MATE”