Searching the forum

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Searching the forum

Post by det4100 »

I'm a bit confused on what is the way to properly search the forums. I tried to search for articles that contained two words, entering the words with a space in between.. On my first attempt, the results were for the first word, and the resulting page stated that it ignored the second word. I then used the advanced search. I then entered the words using + and separated them with | , using a space between the | and the words, then using no space. I then removed the + from the words. Same results. The second word is still ignored. The instructions say something about using a bracket, but it implies that the brackets are used when only one of the words must be found. I want both words to be found.
Thank you.

det4100
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Husse

Re: Searching the forum

Post by Husse »

You're not alone. The search in this version of phpBB is not good at all.
But there is a way to get around the problems at least partly
Search for one word and then use "Search these results"
This way you can search step by step. Unfortunately the search refuses to search for many words. I tried to search for desktop - oh no - to common...
phpBB is the most used "brand" of forums on the net I believe, so it's not us that makes it. We try to adjust it, some things are still not as they should be
I apologize for that
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Thank you Husse, I thought I was a complete moron. I guess I still have time to perfect it though. I found what I was looking for. I try to research as much as possible before posting, since most questions have been asked before.

Still a great forum.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah - and if we had search working as in the old forum in this respect it would be even greater.
Don't forget that you find the forum in Google, it's there within a day

Return to “Beginner Questions”