Strange behavior of Czech localization in Synaptic

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atrament

Strange behavior of Czech localization in Synaptic

Post by atrament »

Hi,
I've just noticed, that some strings in menu in Synaptic, are in english, althought they should be in czech, these strings are already translated. It works fine in original Ubuntu or Debian so I assume it's a Mint problem. When I try to start Synaptic from comand line i get this -

Code: Select all

atrament@darkstar ~ $ sudo /usr/sbin/synaptic 
[sudo] password for atrament: 
/usr/share/themes/Shiki-Wise/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:126: Murrine configuration option "gradients" is no longer supported and will be ignored.

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Read Markings...'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Save Markings'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Save Markings _As...'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Quit'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Undo'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Redo'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Search...'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Reload Package Information'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Add CD-ROM...'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Mark All Upgrades...'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'A_pply Marked Changes'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'U_nmark'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for _Installation'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for R_einstallation'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for _Upgrade'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for _Removal'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for Co_mplete Removal'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Properties'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Filters'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Contents'

(synaptic:11690): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_About'

(synaptic:11690): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tool_item_set_tooltip: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (tool_item)' failed
the warning messagesare coresponding to the "untranslated" items in the menu...

I' am experiencing this problem in Linux Mint Debian Edition, but it is the same in "Classical" Mint. I'am attaching a screenshot , just to make sure you know what I am talking about.

Does anybody have any idea where is the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Strange behavior of Czech localization in Synaptic

Post by herbie643 »

I am having the same problem running LMDE. Can't seem to find anything via Google either.
Maybe by posting my reply someone might see it along with yours. The more people that see it the better.
jiri.masek

Post by jiri.masek »

Seems, there are some new strings added in latest version, and they aren't translated yet.
I have sent mail to developers of Synaptic, to provide me a localization file.
trtram

Post by trtram »

jiri.masek wrote:Seems, there are some new strings added in latest version, and they aren't translated yet.
I have sent mail to developers of Synaptic, to provide me a localization file.
This does not seem to be the case. I have exactly the same problem with Estonian translation which I have updated to the latest version possible (I sent it to the developer myself)... When I run Synaptic from command prompt, I get the same feedback as quoted above. When I check the PO file I generated MO from, I have all these strings available. For some reason Synaptic fails to find them and this has presumably nothing to do with updating the translations. Exactly the same translation file works fine under Ubuntu 10.10. It is the same synaptic in both Ubuntu and Linux Mint, libglade2-0 is the same version... So there is something "special" about it in Linux Mint, but I have no idea what is it!

Just peeking into the source code for a moment, it seems our untranslated strings are gettexted with:

glade_xml_get_widget(_gladeXML, "foo_bar_id")
And _gladeXML seemes to be created in gtk/rggladewindow.cc:

filename = g_strdup_printf("window_%s.glade", name.c_str());
   local_filename = g_strdup_printf("glade/%s", filename);
   if (mainName.empty())
      main_widget = g_strdup_printf("window_%s", name.c_str());
   else
      main_widget = g_strdup_printf("window_%s", mainName.c_str());
   if (FileExists(local_filename)) {
      _gladeXML = glade_xml_new(local_filename, main_widget, NULL);
   } else {
      g_free(filename);
      filename =
         g_strdup_printf(SYNAPTIC_GLADEDIR "window_%s.glade", name.c_str());
      _gladeXML = glade_xml_new(filename, main_widget, NULL);
   }
   assert(_gladeXML);
   _win = glade_xml_get_widget(_gladeXML, main_widget);
   assert(_win);
Maybe, this gives some ideas to somebody...

Note that Synaptic is hardly developed these days, there couldn't be really much new untranslated strings.

M.
trtram

Post by trtram »

I have reported the bug already in 2010 May (although it appeared months earlier). I updated the bug report to refer to this thread in forum and added some additional information. If this bug affects you, please go to Launchpad and mark the bug affecting you: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/582756.
amandawillow

Post by amandawillow »

Actually I am having the same problem with English LXDE version of Isadora -- and also on the 20110302 respin of Peppermint Ice. So I am assuming that the problem remains unresolved in the upstream.
trtram

Post by trtram »

BigLue wrote:The same about Linux Mint Isadora V9i386 LXDE. If anyone will take up dealing with this..
I suggest that you contact some Linux Mint developers on IRC or at least go to Launchpad bug report indicated above and under "Does this bug affect you?" mark "Yes, it affects me." I may lead someone responsible to notice the bug.
trtram

Post by trtram »

jenniferG wrote:I'm having the same problem, i've been working on this for several days and cannot get it to work. Can anyone tell me how they solved this issue?
In the end, my solution was to move back to Ubuntu, where this bug doesn't appear and translation flaws are thought of worth fixing.

Return to “Translations”