Has anyone tried Cinnamon yet?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone tried Cinnamon yet?

Post by twodogs »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Has anyone tried Cinnamon yet?

Post by tdockery97 »

I installed it and played with it a little. For my personal usage I think I still prefer fallback mode or MATE. But Cinnamon is a great idea and I look forward to seeing how it develops.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
oldrocker99

Post by oldrocker99 »

I'm using it right now, and I like it--so far!
crzen

Post by crzen »

I installed it. I like how it keeps some of the MGSE functionality but has a g2 type panel. I didnt use the overview applications much in g3 because the menu button has what I need. but I really like the "expo edge" feel of the overview hot corner. I do use that a lot. I also found that if you goto /usr/share/cinnamon/theme and copy cinnamon.css, create a folder in usr/theme/ (I called mine cinnamon dark)/gnome-shell, paste cinnamon.css in ito it, then rename it to gnome-shell.css you can then modify the file to "reskin" the panel. You can then select it from the Overview --> Themes tab to enable it. I dont know if this is supposed to work this way, but it does. :D
harvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by harvi »

well cinnamon looks great. I will use it when more things becomes avaible to it.
r_a_trip

Post by r_a_trip »

I've been using it since the first Alpha and every update makes me a more happy camper. Clem really has pure gold in his hands here.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Been using it for a week now and Like it very much. Works for Me :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

kc1di wrote:Been using it for a week now and Like it very much. Works for Me :)
Me too...has become my favorite session on mint 12...haven't used the others since i started using it :)

How are you doing by the way? it's Craig (fellow ham from NYC) good to see you on mint and the forum :mrgreen:
awi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by awi »

I've used cinnamonf for a while, but had some issues with it.
- Pidgin icon sometimes become invisible.
- Menu load is realy slow (I had an i7 Quad Core!), comparing with old gnome menu (Alt-F1 shows instantly), it takes too long to show (Above one second), I still prefer the good old Gnome-do.
- Desktop notifications sometimes stops working, out of the blue.
- Eclipse (java) modal windows, sometimes leaves a gray square that does not go away.
MSGE also has its gotchas. Mate (caja) IMO lacks some important functions for the file manager, for instance the "share" options, in its contextual menu; themes managment is also cumbersome, default looks like gnome 1.x, on a very old Red Hat 7.1.
I'm now pretty comfortable with the "fall back" mode; in Mint 12, is the same as session named "Gnome classic" on login screen, but you also have this alternative:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnom ... lback.html

Another incredible confused from gnome3 team, is that the good old right click, does nothing in the panel, you have to use ALT-right click, I've never seen in 15 years of professional computer science work, two things so rejected as Unity and Gnome shell.
I like what Cinnamon promise, but it is still very young to be used in a production stage.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It's actually very fine to use...as long as you are willing to be patient as each new version brings in more features and consolidation...if not then you should not use it at this time...wait for mint 13....most of us here are more then happy to use it now and enjoy the refinements as they come along :wink: :D

Return to “Software & Applications”