How To Run Compiz On Linux Mint 12

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sslotlikar

How To Run Compiz On Linux Mint 12

Post by sslotlikar »

Read The Following Instructions.Please Understand you will have to use gnome Classic

http://www.howtoforge.com/enabling-comp ... 2-gnome-12
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
podagee

Re: How To Run Compiz On Linux Mint 12

Post by podagee »

you dont have to use gnome classic.i used this on mint 12 and it works the same on ubuntu 11.10
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86822
sslotlikar

Post by sslotlikar »

I'm sorry by classic i meant the Old Gnome, i.e. 2.3 & older. But if it does work then Excellent! i will try it out today . Was afraid to utilize it because i thought it would break Gnome Shell. Thanks!
podagee

Post by podagee »

no by installing cairo dock core it enables another desktop environment which lets you use compiz.it works for ubuntu 11.10.mint 12.
louisblank

Post by louisblank »

I just installed Mint12 last night and I was looking for a way to get compiz working as well...

You're right, Cairo Dock took care of it - Perfect! I have Wobbly, Previews, Animations, Cube, all working (without using MATE or Classic).

Here is a video that explains it...

http://youtu.be/29AW5HZN904
To get this going: go to software center and install cairo-dock core and run it from the desktop you are in.

Now log out and click the icon from where it lets you choose your desktop - you should see an option for cairo-dock(gnome+effects) log into it.

Now you can install compiz and your favorite effects.
Have fun with it!
podagee

Post by podagee »

glad to have helped
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

If I could get the update indicator to work on the dock, that is all I would use. All other notifications are there but I can't get the update one to work. :wink:
podagee

Post by podagee »

still trying to get it to work i see robin.try dragging and dropping it in your dock.i really dont play in mine so i wouldnt know what to tell ya.i dont think there is really anything posted on the web about it either.i'll have a look and get back to you on that.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

podagee wrote:still trying to get it to work i see robin.try dragging and dropping it in your dock.i really dont play in mine so i wouldnt know what to tell ya.i dont think there is really anything posted on the web about it either.i'll have a look and get back to you on that.

I have that working now actually but I can't get the black box to go away around the dock. I have tried the composite toggler and it says "no composite available" but I have everything enabled. Running compiz --replace does nothing. Any other clues?
podagee

Post by podagee »

the black box around your dock was probably because you used the compisitor which i think i said not to use.it does that.for me i just logged out and back in for it to disappear.compositing is not used in the cairo dock session as far as ive had it on i never needed it.if its still around your dock you probably have to un-install and re-install.
heres the repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cairo-dock-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins

and you can get applets here: http://glx-dock.org/mc_album.php?a=7

also if you have ubuntu tweak installed clean up your package configs and unneeded packages to get a fresh install of cairo
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Well I uninstalled and reinstalled and I still have the black box. I have logged out and then rebooted, but nothing changed
podagee

Post by podagee »

dont know are you running 32 or 64 bit?
could be a graphics card issue maybe.
a better solution maybe why i never noticed it but i have a black wallpaper so it doesnt show
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I am running 32bit and what gets me is I open compiz settings and enable opengl and all that and when I close it, it disables what I just activated. The thing is I had it working before so I don't get what the problem is :roll:
podagee

Post by podagee »

try making sure gnome compatability is checked.if thats not it i dont know what to tell you
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Podagee, I still cannot figure this out. I can run compiz fine in gnome classic but the black box shows when I go to the cairo dock with effects session. I have tried running compiz-decorator --replace and it does nothing. It just says "starting unity-window-manager" but nothing changes. I need the compiz decorator and cannot get it. The only option with the fusion icon is for the gtk decorator. I don't get it. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Robin
podagee

Post by podagee »

ill get back to you on that robin.i have had no issues with the install or black box only when using compisiter.my compisiter in compiz works fine and as far as decorations,i'll get back to you on that one.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

podagee wrote:ill get back to you on that robin.i have had no issues with the install or black box only when using compisiter.my compisiter in compiz works fine and as far as decorations,i'll get back to you on that one.

Ok pod. That is definitely the issue. Compiz does not even show as running. it shows metacity even though compiz is selected as window decorator.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I think this is my problem but I don't know how to fix it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771968
podagee

Post by podagee »

as far as that being your problem double check that the settings for windows manger settings,windows maximizer,etc...are checked.its also hard robin cause i dont know the specs you have.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

podagee wrote:as far as that being your problem double check that the settings for windows manger settings,windows maximizer,etc...are checked.its also hard robin cause i dont know the specs you have.

Someone has already filed a bug report so it's not just me. I would downgrade metacity but that would remove mgse which I do not want to do. I think I'll just wait till it gets ironed out. Thanks podagee :wink:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”