Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by KBD47 »

Today's cinnamon & ubuntu tweak update broke the menu. Can't log out, quit, search, it doesn't function at all. Plus the update icon is now missing.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

KBD47 wrote:Today's cinnamon & ubuntu tweak update broke the menu. Can't log out, quit, search, it doesn't function at all. Plus the update icon is now missing.
perhaps ctrl+alt+backspace and login again?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

A force quit and restart fixed it.
carloss

Post by carloss »

raqua wrote:
carloss wrote:Suggestion: show the main menu by just hovering over its icon (lower left corner of the screen), so that we wouldn't need to click on it. That would be an even faster and easier operation.
And quite annoying if you accidentally move mouse there. I prefer the click.
The menu icon is located in a small confined area on the screen corner, so I think accidental activation would be rare or at least not an issue (unlike Unity launcher). Anyway, if not by default, I would like to have at least the ability to change the menu activation mode.

I know that this feature seems very subtle or even unnecessary, but trust me, it would make a huge difference.
Last edited by carloss on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

raqua wrote:
carloss wrote:Suggestion: show the main menu by just hovering over its icon (lower left corner of the screen), so that we wouldn't need to click on it. That would be an even faster and easier operation.
And quite annoying if you accidentally move mouse there. I prefer the click.
this is a thing that should be optional/configurable, i hope clem & co focus strongly on configurability in all aspects of cinnamon

i have a few questions/suggestions
- personally i prefer 2 panels, top and bottom, and i like to have indicators such as sound menu, network manager and so on, things that are part of the operating system as indicators in the top panel, BUT i want classic tray icons in the bottom right for things that are more applications than OS features, such as email client, pidgin etc. i think its important to differentiate between OS features and things that should be available in one click (pidgin buddy list) - and not use 2-3 clicks to go thru a (stupid)message indicator
-i hope the mint menu can be moved to the top panel in time
-i still got a soft spot for compiz. is it completely impossible to optionally replace mutter or what its called with compiz? is that something that can be done in the future?
-fixed window placement, thats essential to me on a 1920x1080 screen - compiz does it perfectly. it just feels silly to click my twitter client tray icon (currently in the top right, hoping bottom right at some stage in the future) and see the window appear in the opposite corner of the screen. ive tried devilspie but its pretty poor compared to how compiz does it

im currently sticking with gnome-shell as i want 2 panels, but i got cinnamon working...got nothing much to say about my experience there but it looks promising
Zenkibou

Post by Zenkibou »

Hello, I'm a gentoo user trying Cinnamon, thanks for this project, I'm currently using gnome-fallback but I'd like to use a compositing manager for performance reasons.
I don't like the MATE solution because all I need is something like gnome-fallback: change the window manager but keeps the Gnome 3 apps underneath, and this is what Cinnamon is, so this is good !

First of all, here is the live git ebuild I'm using on gentoo, it doesn't hurt to have it somewhere only where people can find it. (I could post it on gentoo's bugzilla if some people are interested) (Note that I didn't write the dependencies, so it will work if you have the full gnome3/gnome-shell installed).

Code: Select all

# Copyright 1999-2011 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI=4
inherit autotools autotools-utils git-2 gnome2 gnome2-utils

DESCRIPTION=""
HOMEPAGE=""
SRC_URI=""

EGIT_REPO_URI="https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon.git
	git://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon.git"

LICENSE=""
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~amd64"
IUSE=""

DEPEND=""
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"

src_unpack() {
	git-2_src_unpack
}

src_prepare() {
	autotools-utils_src_prepare
	eautoreconf
}
Now I have two issues, the first one is that with the git code, Cinnamon just does not start, here is the error:

JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: 'anonymous function does not always return a value'
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/panelLaunchers.js' line 193 exception 0 number 157
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Error invoking St.load_uri_sync: Error opening file: Permission denied
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Error invoking St.load_uri_sync: Error opening file: Permission denied")@gjs_throw:0
([object _private_GObject_GLocalFile],1)@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:180
([object _private_GObject_GLocalFile],1)@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:96
()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:108
()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:77
()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:72
ThemeView()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:39
()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:250
ThemesDisplay()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js:245
()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/overview.js:208
start()@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js:235
@<main>:1
"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Error invoking St.load_uri_sync: Error opening file: Permission denied"'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Error invoking St.load_uri_sync: Error opening file: Permission denied
I made the following change to be able to continue, because I don't know the real problem:

--- /tmp/a.js	2011-12-23 19:09:28.866434977 +0100
+++ /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/themesDisplay.js	2011-12-23 18:54:31.780650165 +0100
@@ -176,7 +176,7 @@
 	    if (themeDir != null) {	  
 	    	let thumbnail = themeDir.get_child('thumbnail.png');
 	    	let icon = null;	    	
-	    	if (thumbnail.query_exists(null)) {	    		
+	    	if (false && thumbnail.query_exists(null)) {	    		
 	    		icon = St.TextureCache.get_default().load_uri_sync(1, thumbnail.get_uri(), 256, 256);
 	    	}
 	    	else {
Now, Cinnamon starts and everything, but the menu has only "Places", folders on the right and [Lock screen / Logout / Quit], I don't have any application listed or in the bar.
In addition, I don't have any background image.

(This is the latest git from some minutes ago, so I'm up to date)

What can I do to investigate further?
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

Clem
This just keeps getting better.
We now have launchers on the panel and can even add more.
One thing i noticed is when you add a launcher to the panel it does not have the correct icon for it.
It also adds another launcher in the menu under other and if you uncheck it in the main menu editor it removes it from the menu and panel.
This may be irrelevant since you are working on dragging and droping launchers to the panel.

Thanks for allowing us to play with cinnamon.
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

sprintcowboy wrote:Could Alt-Tab show all windows on all workspaces.
I think this would be faster than going to each workspace to see what windows are there.
If you do allow this please disable it by default, I think it's crazy to have different workspaces and then have Alt-Tab not respect that.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

carloss wrote:Suggestion: show the main menu by just hovering the mouse cursor over its icon (lower left corner of the screen), so that we wouldn't need to click on it. That would be an even faster and easier operation.
I'm not a fan of that. Hovering would be faster, but potentially more annoying much like the Unity wiper that is always popping out when you don't want it. I favor click to launch unless there is an option for the user to set it they way they would like it to act.
Last edited by Joe_Linux on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reiga

Post by reiga »

hello,

nice work clem!

one bug i found, but im not sure...

activate my 2nd screen. i can see him, but can not use him. nvidia or cinnamon failure ?

and one question, how i can add launchers ?

EDIT: ok id found the issue at the issue-list

Another EDIT: ok now i know how to set launchers! now is great, cinnamon rocks!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I'm not getting how to add launchers. When I right click on that area and click on add, if I want to add Chromium don't I just put the name in both boxes?
reiga

Post by reiga »

i think this action is not insert at the moment, you have to add it with gsettings.

for example

gsettings set org.cinnamon panel-launchers "['nautilus.desktop','gnome-terminal.desktop','firefox.desktop','thunderbird.desktop','pidgin.desktop','banshee.desktop','jdownloader.desktop','virtualbox.desktop']"
of course you must adapt this.

sorry, for my bad english.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks reiga. I will just wait until Clem makes it a bit easier to do :-)
sminterz

Post by sminterz »

allready much better then msge!!

how to change the windows border?
LexMK

Post by LexMK »

Hello Mint! :D

I'm currently using Cinnamon on my laptop and I really like it. Yesterday, I installed Mint 12 with Cinnamon on a tablet I bought this summer (Yashi Ypad) and, well, everything is working fine. Cinnamon is a good DE for tablets too, but I think it can improve. I know that Mint's primary target are desktops and laptops but tablets are a growing market and adding some features for tablets could be useful and it's non that much of a work. I'm thinking scrolling down the pages with your finger, like in smartphones and not using the scrollbar (which is a quite difficult task on a tablet :( ), zooming and unzooming using an Apple laptop/tablet-like gesture and auto-activating the on-screen keyboard whenever you "click" on some text input, especially in the log-in screen.

Everything else is working perfectly and I'l looking forward for the complete version of Cinnamon. Thank you again, Clem! :wink:

EDIT: Forgot about a function: when you rotate the tablet, the screen should rotate too.
drjster

Post by drjster »

I installed Cinnamon yesterday and everything looked fine. Turned on my PC this morning and booted into Mint 12 Cinnamon desktop. The taskbar and mint menu are "not right" anymore (SEE LINK TO IMAGE). I tried logging in/out, restarting and uninstalling/reinstalling Cinammon. Anyway, my desktop looks like this: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9164/cinndsktp.png . Hope this helps Clem and the Mint team. Any suggestions to fix this by the way :D ?
reiga

Post by reiga »

you use a gnome-shell theme!

go to the left top corner than theme and change it to the left theme, its the cinnamon theme. the other dosn't work well at the moment!
Last edited by reiga on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

@drjster: Make sure you're running Cinnamon 1.1.2, then go in the overview (CTRL+ALT+UP, or mouse in top left corner), select the "Themes" tab, and select Cinnamon.
drjster

Post by drjster »

@Clem: That worked. Thanks. I'm not sure what I did to deselect the Cinnamon theme but I'm back in business :)

@reiga: Thanks for the solution!
Zin

Post by Zin »

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to add to the favorites menu with gsettings. I can't seem to get the code right. I am trying to add Evolution an remove Thunderbird. Could someone post an example of the code? Thanks

@Clem and the LM Team: You guys did an excellent job with Cinnamon! Thanks again.

Return to “Cinnamon”