Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glassarchitect86@yahoo,com

Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Post by glassarchitect86@yahoo,com »

Hi all...
I am trying to install mint on a hard drive, with multiple NTFS partitions. One of them is empty, and is the partition I would like to format and repartition to use for mint. But when I use the install executable, I can't figure out how to just select that space on the drive to use... it wants to change the entire drive's partition scheme.
How would I go about just using that space (roughly 32gig) for mint?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Post by McLovin »

You just have to go into manually partition, but I would first ask you, how familiar you are with partitioning? If you are not sure about how to partition an HDD, I would recommend you read up on it, this is a good place to start, it has a few videos on how to partition you driver for linux, (the videos show ubuntu, but the process is the same). But make sure you know what you are doing before you try to do it, you can whack things pretty bad when partitioning if mess something up.
McLovin

Re: Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Post by McLovin »

no, when you click the install now icon from the live cd, you go through all the set-up screens to the "disk partitioning" step, once there just select partition disk manually, then it will take you to GParted, which will allow you to partition your disk however you like.

Return to “Installation & Boot”