Changing sources for update-3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bootmakr

Changing sources for update-3

Post by bootmakr »

Since installing LMDE a couple of weeks ago, I have had a few annoying problems, I just want to let you know that I read somewhere here that when you update to update-3 pack using the update manager, you must change your /etc/apt/sources.list. When I tried to do update-3, I followed the update manager's instructions for changing the sources, and got errors. I ended up commenting out the changes and the update went smoothly, except for a couple of packages which a dialog box said were broken. My sources are still pointed at Debian, since the LinuxMint sources were said to be errors. Any comment?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Changing sources for update-3

Post by zerozero »

follow this
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Thanks for the updated sources, they are different than the ones I followed in the update-3 instruction - and no errors this time!

Well, everything on the update worked fine except your gstreamer fix:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
But when I used this (the error shown), it seemed to go ahead:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 171195 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad 0.10.22-2 (using .../gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad ...
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstxvid.so', which is also in package gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad 0.10.22-0.1
Setting up gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad (0.10.22-3) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ..
Do I need to install the 64-bit version instead of the 32-bit since this is a duo core 64-bit computer? Will that help cure my issues/annoyances ? if it will make things work better, I'll re-install :mrgreen: BTW, I'm not complaining about LMDE, just trying to get it up to speed .... I love Debian clones that work right out of the box!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi,
those instructions are for 64bit systems (amd64.deb), if your system is (as it seems) 32bit, you have to adapt (as you did) to i386.deb;

regarding your issues, i think that is all due to the fact that you are running a 486 kernel (not suitable for modern machines), but now with UP3 you should have linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae installed, just make sure that linux-headers-2.6-686-pae and linux-headers-3.0.0-1-686-pae are also installed and i believe that the system will be faster.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

After the update, and installing the PAE kernel, my Mint install was completely wiped out! It went black, wouldn't start up for nuttin! I waited for 1/2 hour, nothing, not even a Grub screen nor the intel setup screen. Not being a "I-can-fix-it" kinda guy, I re-installed the 32-bit version, then I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version, which I hope will treat me better when I update :?

I'm wondering if the updater and my HP box are not compatible - another HP box that I bought for Linux a while back is now running XP because Linux kept crashing (I tried several different distros to make sure), but XP runs fine on it (except it gets malware all the time). I'll try the updater one more time, but if the updater fails again and I have to re-install again, I'll just use

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
from now on, and every so often, I'll use

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist upgrade
to keep on top of any stuff I may need. So far, this is the best Debian clone/deriv that I've seen out there for rolling releases.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :!: :lol: :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”