LMDE KDE version

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lubor

LMDE KDE version

Post by lubor »

Hi,

Does anybody know, when the LMDE KDE version will be released?
If the LMDE KDE version already exists, where I can find LMDE KDE iso images?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arran

Re: LMDE KDE version

Post by Arran »

Yes. I know. Once the Developer Team thinks they are ready. So, be patient. :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

There is not going to be a Debian edition, the next KDE release will be based on Ubuntu
Arran

Post by Arran »

Give us your source, please.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Unfortunately, that 's the case. :( See post 15: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1908 I did not bothet to ask why. :twisted:

So, if you want LMDE KDE, start with Mint Xfce and then add kde-standard desktop. Or, install pure debian testing and then add the linux mint packages you want. (i prefer the latter but there is a matter of taste). :wink:
whirly

Post by whirly »

i started playing with the gnome shell group
this required a sid upgrade
then i found out i could also use kde as a completetely different desktop
all very fun and quite painless if you do it right
however 'right' seems to be different for each system
i didn't go kde full but went kde plasma desktop
because i don't want all that super cool stuff,just most of it
all works excellently
gnome 3.2
kde 4:7.2 which equals 8 in debian land
it's all in previous posts
you need the snapshot repo
qt-kde experimental
after that i think apt gets updates like normal
it's fun but you have to learn stuff
Rafe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rafe »

asymmetros wrote:Unfortunately, that 's the case. :( See post 15: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1908 I did not bothet to ask why. :twisted:

So, if you want LMDE KDE, start with Mint Xfce and then add kde-standard desktop. Or, install pure debian testing and then add the linux mint packages you want. (i prefer the latter but there is a matter of taste). :wink:
Would you provide more detail about the steps, please? I grow ever more weary of re-booting after LMDE Gnome locks up.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Rafe wrote:
asymmetros wrote:Unfortunately, that 's the case. :( See post 15: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1908 I did not bothet to ask why. :twisted:

Would you provide more detail about the steps, please? I grow ever more weary of re-booting after LMDE Gnome locks up.

You can install LMDE Xfce, remove the applications you do not want and then install kde-standard-desktop. Be aware that, during the installation, it is far better to select kdm as login manager when you asked for this. Then, remove (and) gdm3. Do not start from LMDE gnome -(unless you have it installed already). It has more gnome dependencies.

If you want to start from Debian, there is a very good tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/197

PS: I ve tried both ways. No problems either way.
lubor

Post by lubor »

Thanks for reply,

Is there any way how to install LMDE without desktop environment and after that install environment i want?
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

lubor wrote:Thanks for reply,

Is there any way how to install LMDE without desktop environment and after that install environment i want?
No. That's why i suggested the other way around, to install first debian and "mintify" it. Anyway, the good thing is that Mint Xfce is more minimal than Mint Gnome -mainly cause Xfce has fewer dependencies than gnome, Of course, it comes with some gnome applications (banshee or rhythmbox, eog, gedit,,) but it is easy to remove them and then install what you want.

Finally, when we are talking for a rolling distro the system is completely yours cause you do not have to re-install and to deal again with unwanted applications. For example, in my mint debian system, i have installed Xfce, Openbox, KDE and E17.
davedarkblade

Post by davedarkblade »

Kde packages are in the LATEST repo of LMDE?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@davedarkblade,
you should have in latest kde 4.6.5 (the same i have available here in testing)
davedarkblade

Post by davedarkblade »

I also find this repo: http://qt-kde.debian.net/
If I understand works with the repo sid/experimental, however, could possibly also work alongside the latest repo LMDE.
Another little question: if i want remove all the gnome stuff, how can i do?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

we have a topic about qt-kde.debian (and kde 4.7.2) here
but that repo is to be used with sid (any other combination is at your own risk).
davedarkblade

Post by davedarkblade »

Sorry i've missed this topic.

Return to “LMDE Archive”