How To: Upgrade your kernel, painlessly.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
jesper85m

Re: How To: Upgrade your kernel, painlessly.

Post by jesper85m »

Hi thanks for nice guide.

Got a problem, i wounder why i did get a blackscreen after installing kernel 3.0.4? i installed it on my Acer Aspire 5552g and got a blackscreen after restart. but it worked like a charm on my old netbook.
d00med

Post by d00med »

How do you safely remove a kernel? The one I installed isn't listed in the synaptic package manager.
hotshot247

Post by hotshot247 »

d00med wrote:How do you safely remove a kernel? The one I installed isn't listed in the synaptic package manager.
i am having the same problem also because the kernel that i patched and compiled doesn't show up in the package manager like everybody tells me that it does so i can't delete it.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Is there any reason for/against upgrading to the latest kernel on Mint 11?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Kevin108 wrote:Is there any reason for/against upgrading to the latest kernel on Mint 11?
For: You may get better hardware support.

Against: You may get worse hardware support on an old computer.

It doesn't hurt to try, because you will still have the option in the Grub Menu to boot into your previous kernel.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
d00med

Post by d00med »

hotshot247 wrote:
d00med wrote:How do you safely remove a kernel? The one I installed isn't listed in the synaptic package manager.
i am having the same problem also because the kernel that i patched and compiled doesn't show up in the package manager like everybody tells me that it does so i can't delete it.
Turns out I already had a command to clean unused kernels.

List unused headers, images and modules

Code: Select all

dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d'
Remove unused kernel headers, images and modules

Code: Select all

dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
Can anyone recommend a 3.x kernel from here that would be compatible with Mint 11? [edit] 3.1.5 Precise is working fine.
podagee

Post by podagee »

or you could use ubuntu tweak to clean old kernels from the janitor that comes with it.after that just do a sudo update-grub from terminal and it should be gone.if trying to remove a newer one you installed,what i do is...gksu nautilus /boot/ and erase the kernel and all affiliated files with the unwanted kernel and do a sudo update-grub.this works for me
hotshot247

Post by hotshot247 »

Kendall wrote:If in the outside chance you feel you need to upgrade your kernel for any particular reason, this is how you do it THE EASY WAY. Note that this guide requires no compiling and works for Mint and Ubuntu only (it's probable that this works for other Ubuntu derivatives, but I haven't tested it and can therefore offer no opinion).

- 1 - Go to this website http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and you'll see a huge directory tree of kernels. Find the directory for the kernel you want/need and click on it.

- 2 - In each of these directories you're going to see "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", three items that begin with "linux-headers", two that begin with "linux-image" and one that begins with "linux-source". The "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", and "linux-source" are completely unimportant right now. We're only worried about "linux-headers" and "linux-image".

- 3 - Download and then install the following IN THIS ORDER: first get the linux-headers file that ends with "all.deb". Second get the linux-headers file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" depending upon what architecture you need. Finally get the linux-image file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" again depending upon what architecture you need. Honestly it doesn't really matter what order you download them in, but you need to make absolutely sure that you install them in this order.

- 4 - Reboot your computer and you're done.

Disclaimer: I do this all the time and it's yet to not work for me. You do need to understand that there is an inherent risk associated with all low level system stuff like this. If it borks your system, I claim no responsibility.
i followed your instructions perfectly but it's still kinda buggy...i don't know if it's not fully optimized for linux mint yet but when i tried to get a later kernel and after i booted it up..it had an error message and then i had to hit ctrl + alt + F8 to get into linux and when i tried to shut it down, it had another error and wouldn't shut down until i held the power button. what can i do to fix that?
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

hotshot247 wrote:
Kendall wrote:If in the outside chance you feel you need to upgrade your kernel for any particular reason, this is how you do it THE EASY WAY. Note that this guide requires no compiling and works for Mint and Ubuntu only (it's probable that this works for other Ubuntu derivatives, but I haven't tested it and can therefore offer no opinion).

- 1 - Go to this website http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and you'll see a huge directory tree of kernels. Find the directory for the kernel you want/need and click on it.

- 2 - In each of these directories you're going to see "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", three items that begin with "linux-headers", two that begin with "linux-image" and one that begins with "linux-source". The "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", and "linux-source" are completely unimportant right now. We're only worried about "linux-headers" and "linux-image".

- 3 - Download and then install the following IN THIS ORDER: first get the linux-headers file that ends with "all.deb". Second get the linux-headers file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" depending upon what architecture you need. Finally get the linux-image file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" again depending upon what architecture you need. Honestly it doesn't really matter what order you download them in, but you need to make absolutely sure that you install them in this order.

- 4 - Reboot your computer and you're done.

Disclaimer: I do this all the time and it's yet to not work for me. You do need to understand that there is an inherent risk associated with all low level system stuff like this. If it borks your system, I claim no responsibility.
i followed your instructions perfectly but it's still kinda buggy...i don't know if it's not fully optimized for linux mint yet but when i tried to get a later kernel and after i booted it up..it had an error message and then i had to hit ctrl + alt + F8 to get into linux and when i tried to shut it down, it had another error and wouldn't shut down until i held the power button. what can i do to fix that?
I had the same issues you did so I removed that kernel. The instructions worked fine but for some reason issues occurred that just didn't seem using it worthwhile. I even tried Kernel 3.0.0.14 in Synaptic. That Kernel gave me a black screen at boot so I removed that as well. Oh well, I tried.
hotshot247

Post by hotshot247 »

I had the same issues you did so I removed that kernel. The instructions worked fine but for some reason issues occurred that just didn't seem using it worthwhile. I even tried Kernel 3.0.0.14 in Synaptic. That Kernel gave me a black screen at boot so I removed that as well. Oh well, I tried.
yea, it installed just fine but it's a pain to try to run. i'm trying to figure out if i just need to download the source code and configure it a certain way then compile if that would make a difference. everybody that i talk to seem to know how to install it but when it comes to problems, i haven't found anybody to help me yet.
d00med

Post by d00med »

3.1.5 is working great here still (Mint 11). Has anyone gotten 3.2 to work in Mint?
stefanheijnen

Post by stefanheijnen »

3.2.0 is working just fine @ Mint 12.

Also http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com is a nice source for the latest kernel (optimized for i3, i5, i7), although it hasn't been updated for over a month.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'm still running 3.2.0-rc7. No problems at all, it works fine even though it's an -rc release.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
d00med

Post by d00med »

I've tried the 3.2 kernel versions from here in Mint 11 and get kernel panics with all of them. Hmm.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

ArminasAnarchy

Post by ArminasAnarchy »

I followed the guide, and got the first two packages (linux-header files) installed. The third however (the image) doesn't want to install. I double click on it to run it, but the "Install" button remains greyed out :(. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running Lisa KDE RC.

I continued to reboot anyway, and I'm up and running. Is it a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", or should I be worried? Why it it the install button is greyed out?
HealingTek

Post by HealingTek »

I have 3.2.1 running fine on both Mint 11 (desktop) & Mint 12 (netbook). I didn't install the kernels from a repository, I rolled my own from scratch, but I mention it just to demonstrate that there's no inherent problem with the 3.2 series & Mint.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I tried the same thing but my NIC quit working.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You'd better open a new topic on that, and please post the output of inxi -N in there.

Return to “Tutorials”