Backup/Restore Partitions with qt4-fsarchiver HowTo

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wowjustwow

Re: Backup/Restore Partitions with qt4-fsarchiver HowTo

Post by wowjustwow »

xircon wrote::evil: Just spent two hours trying to get wubi to work, everything appears OK, but I get no boot menu, it just boots straight to win7, give up, uninstalling, going to bed Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Did you try chkdsk /r in Windows? You need a clean Windows shutdown to clear out the filesystem. If something gets left in the system, then you can't get the option to boot into Ubuntu.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I just read, Maverick don't work as wubi installation, because the file wubildr works incorrect. I add a warning for this
to the HowTo.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Ran chkdsk /r - no errors - but it took forever.
Reinstalled oneiric 11.10 wubi from iso image (got bored downloading the tar.xz image over and over and over!!!!!).
Rebooted.
Straight into win7, no boot menu :( Everything looks OK according to easybcd.
Eventually got to bed at about 1:30am, could not sleep :( Coffee time!!

But this is not the place to deal with this, have posted on the wubi mega thread on the ubuntu forums.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I put this SalineOS based rescue iso together [url]http:/lin.me.uk/qt4-fsarchiver/qt4-fsarchiver-12-01-22.iso[/url] this link is behaving oddly but the URL works

It's got Firefox on it with a profile that includes a basic custom Speed Dial menu that would be easily personalized and moved to a users own OS.
Josep Del Rio's Firefox/Iceweasel Speed Dial addon is what all the other Speed Dial extensions should be, forget bookmarks they're old school :D
I'll be making a video of a creating a basic Speed Dial set up shortly.

Any and all feedback very welcome
xircon

Post by xircon »

Cheers Brian,

I am downloading now and will test and get back.

Steve
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Thanks for your work Brian :) dl is running, feedback follows tomorrow.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I might have gone over the top with the Firefox/Iceweasel profile but for me Josep Del Rio's Speed Dial was a game changer.
I've got an NTFS data partition with a symbolic link in my home folder where I keep my FX profile.
With this set up I use the same profile on any/all OS's installed on my machine.

My domain has been moved to a different server this month and most of my links are broken so I'm putting videos up on youtube now. :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ukbrian

Constructive criticism is very welcome
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi Brian,

your self criticism with Speed Dial gone over the top i can confirm. I prefer old school bookmarks :D
For those who like to play with pictures it might be ok. But for a simple rescue cd with the aim to offer qt4-fsarchiver
in a better way than we know from the Ubuntu CDs, i think it's too much. I don't want FF or a desktop menu look like a
comic. It only should be functional with a simple look and feel. And a rescue cd with 790 MB to download is not ideal for
people with small bandwidth.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Gerd50 wrote:Hi Brian,
your self criticism with Speed Dial gone over the top i can confirm. I prefer old school bookmarks :D
For those who like to play with pictures it might be ok. But for a simple rescue cd with the aim to offer qt4-fsarchiver
in a better way than we know from the Ubuntu CDs, i think it's too much. I don't want FF or a desktop menu look like a
comic. It only should be functional with a simple look and feel. And a rescue cd with 790 MB to download is not ideal for
people with small bandwidth.
I think I needed that :D
I think I have a smaller, simpler one here, I'll sort something out tomorrow.
Back to a boring forgettable desktop I guess. :(
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Yes it is :D

Is your server working well and i can add your link to the HowTo?
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

My servers stable now, that's why it took me so long to post the link.
Peace
ukbrian
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Link added to the HowTo. Thanks again Brian :D
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

There is a english Ubuntu Oneiric version available now:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsarchiver/
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Just to let anyone know, if they are interested, that I used qt4-fsarchiver, with the live CD saved inside inside Multisystem , to save both LMDE and sabyon partitions before I DBANed my computer .
When I set up the new partitions Iinstalled the Hybryde OS,then installed fsarchiver and qt4-fsarchiverinto Hybryde and then restored LMDE and Sabayon to their new partitions. Updated GRUB and was able to boot into both.

*Notes..
*when I had originally installed these distros, I had saved their bootloaders to their respective partitions. Dont know how difficult it would have been if either bootloader had been installed to the MBR.

*when I checked the new partition UUIDs with sudo blkid and compared with the /etc/fstab files, both distros were mounted on the correct partitions but the swap partition in fstab was different. Iassume it just copied that UUID from the previous installation so I just changed the entry in fstab to the one from blkid

Hope this is helpful.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

New versions are available:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... eb-Pakete/

I tested the Lucid package in Mint 9 and the Debian 6 package in Debian Testing and Sid. Good work from the developer
again, no problems with the new versions.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I've done a new restore ISO with the latest qt4-fsarchiver at Restore ISO
There's been over 100 downloads, there's been over 20 this month already, it seems to be getting more popular.

I've tried to make the new ISO more multi language but qt4-fsarchiver itself only does German, Russian and English.
blockhead

Post by blockhead »

ukbrian wrote:The ability to clone a partition is a seperate issue but most partition backup software goes that way and
it would be more versatile if you could change the UUID's on a restore/clone operation .

I installed fsarchiver in a SalineOS Xfce Squeeze based install and then remastersysed it and burnt an iso which runs fsarchiver in the live dvd
snip
I downloaded the qt4fsarchiver saline OS rescue disk and I am having some difficulty with the credentials . can someone tell me what login: and password: to use. to access the features on this disk. thankfully , I did experiment
and used the backup program and it worked great without asking me for a password, but other applications require the password and login. I am now able to back up operating system partitions to an external 500 gig 7200 rpm hdd located in a PBO patriot box office housing. I think I fried the thing in a flashing operation, but using it as an external drive works great. I just plug in the usb to the computer turn on the power and it works, linux sees it and I can use it. I really like the saline os as well, but I need the password...please..
blockhead

Post by blockhead »

I have tried this disk and qt4fsa works fine. congrats. good job uk.b. I would still very much like to obtain the login:
and password: that has been set so that I can access the full disc. I tried the pasword "user" on the saline rescue disc and can't seem to get it to work. also , I do not have the login:
anybody help? thanks.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

The first time i get a warning with qt4-fsarchiver:
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
I don't know what it means and the warning is only in 'testing' not in 'sid'. I took the /65-droid-sans-fonts.conf
from sid, installed a newer qt4-fsarchiver version, but the warning is still there.

A backup seems to work and i hope, the warning doesn't bother me. Is somebody out there who has problems with
it, please let me know.

Return to “LMDE Archive”