Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby lurkatron on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 pm

dont know if this is new but the official extensions page now has an rss feed so that you wont have to browse thru the entire list daily (or hourly in my case)
https://extensions.gnome.org/rss/
lurkatron
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby BlueSky77 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 am

axel668 wrote:I totally don't agree. "One size fits all" doesn't work, see Unity ... Besides, I want to decide for myself what my desktop environment looks like and how it behaves. Customizing is essential for modern software, that's why I use Firefox for browsing and Gnome 3 on the desktop. Besides, Gnome3 is perfectly usable without extensions, most of them are in fact just convenience for XP / Gnome2 users who don't get the new concepts.


I completely agree with you. If you want to be dictated to about how your desktop appears and how it behaves, use Unity. If not, Gnome 3 + extensions are a great way to seriously customize your personal desktop.

Ubuntu with Unity = dictator telling you what your desktop experience will be.

Gnome 3 = freedom to choose.

I'll stick with Gnome 3 thank you.
BlueSky77
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 am

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby eightup1 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:02 pm

BlueSky77 wrote:
Ubuntu with Unity = dictator telling you what your desktop experience will be.
Gnome 3 = freedom to choose.
I'll stick with Gnome 3 thank you.

How Does Gnome 3 equal freedom ? I choose to NOT have my OS pop up in my face and steal focus all the time . i choose to Not have ANY side bar of any kind EVER, I choose to not have to install 40 scripts written by third party vendors just to make my OS usable .... How do you do that with Gnome 3 . i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.
User avatar
eightup1
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby Olhado on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:39 am

I can't install shell extensions via Firefox :x The "about" section tells me to "check to make sure that the 'GNOME Shell Integration' plugin is installed and enabled in your browser preferences" and lo and behold, the plugin isn't there. How do I install it?
Olhado
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby MALsPa on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:54 am

eightup1 wrote:i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.


Doesn't feel that way to me, but everybody's different, I guess.
User avatar
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: albuquerque

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby veggen on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 am

eightup1 wrote:
BlueSky77 wrote:
Ubuntu with Unity = dictator telling you what your desktop experience will be.
Gnome 3 = freedom to choose.
I'll stick with Gnome 3 thank you.

How Does Gnome 3 equal freedom ? I choose to NOT have my OS pop up in my face and steal focus all the time . i choose to Not have ANY side bar of any kind EVER, I choose to not have to install 40 scripts written by third party vendors just to make my OS usable .... How do you do that with Gnome 3 . i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.

You should most definitely take a look at Cinnamon. It's Gnome 3 but normal. I'm using it exclusively and am quite happy with it (and I'm as hard-core Gnome 2 fan as you'll ever find).
User avatar
veggen
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:54 am

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Postby veggen on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 am

eightup1 wrote:How Does Gnome 3 equal freedom ? I choose to NOT have my OS pop up in my face and steal focus all the time . i choose to Not have ANY side bar of any kind EVER, I choose to not have to install 40 scripts written by third party vendors just to make my OS usable .... How do you do that with Gnome 3 . i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.

You should most definitely take a look at Cinnamon. It's Gnome 3 but normal. I'm using it exclusively and am quite happy with it (and I'm as hard-core Gnome 2 fan as you'll ever find). Sure, it's still very young, has it's own set of problems, but man, is it sweet :)
User avatar
veggen
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:54 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests