...Opera high and low notes (solved)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perkins

...Opera high and low notes (solved)

Post by perkins »

Hi all merry xmas ho ho ho, I am a keen foxofthefires, but have recently discovered the delights of the Opera world, just curious as to the general opinion of the Opera browser, does it reach the high notes, without shattering the crystal glasses of the linux world... or are there a few bum notes to be found within it's repertoire, any feedback would be of interest, with thanks...Perkins...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ...Opera high and low notes

Post by cottfcfan »

Opera is an excellent Browser. The problem is not all web pages like it. For eg, I use Yahoo as my home page, but it doesn't render properly in Opera:
uk.m.yahoo.com?.tsrc=yahoo&mobile_view_default=true/
I've also had occasions were after filling in forms online, i've come to submit the info, and it isn't accepted because it doesn't like my browser, so ive had to start again in Firefox.
IMO Opera is the best browser out there, but because of compatibility issues I stick to Firefox.
perkins

Post by perkins »

Hi thanks for that, Opera seems like a hybrid somewhere between Chrome and Firefox, although it has been around since '95 which is interesting...I note that you are from Hull my daughter stays there and has a good friend who lives in Cott... :)
Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Temporary Saint »

I'll second the compatibility issues, but otherwise it's great browser, and a fast one too. One minor complaint I have is that it uses up a lot of screen space with buttons and toolbars that you can't turn off (or at least I haven't found a way to do that if it exists).

Steve
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

To get rid of the toolbars you don't want, just click opera, toolbars, & untick the toolbars you want rid of.

Perkins....
I actually live in Cott, not far from the Fair Maid pub.
DarkHououmon

Post by DarkHououmon »

I use both Firefox and Opera. At one point, Opera was my main browser, but one day it wasn't updating for some reason (I think it was because of Geswall which I had installed at the time, and since it was the free version, I could not turn it off for the update) so I had to switch to Firefox. I didn't like Firefox at the time, so I was not thrilled with using it. But overtime, it grew on me, and now Firefox is my main browser. But I still like to use Opera as my secondary browser.

If a page does not load well in one browser, I use another. I have multiple browsers installed; I just prefer using Firefox and Opera. Lately, there have been two sites in which Firefox cannot load well but Opera can. TVTropes's search engine won't work on Firefox but will on Opera, and The Escapist video page suddenly stopped loading in Firefox one day while Opera can load it just fine. I have no idea why to be honest.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I was trying many browsers since my windows era. Still i believe that Opera is the best.
Now, about screen space -and apart from the hint cottfcfan mentioned earlier- i use F4 (to hide instantly the sidebar) and F11 for full screen.
Opera is very customizable. By starting with the tools menu, you can arrange many things.
I also do like the "notes" plus the e-mail client embedded. Recommended.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Exactly. Been using Opera for ages and recently switched to its mail client (from GMail) which is gorgeous.
You can customize Opera like no other browser, you can have a window without any toolbar or button if you want ([Shift] + [F12] or right click on the toolbar and select "Customize").
For those sites that don't properly display under Opera (rare), try masking Opera as IE or Firefox ([F12] then "Network" options)
archiegoodwin

Post by archiegoodwin »

Back in ancient times I started with Spry Mosaic, then switched to (the original) Netscape Navigator browser. When that became bloatware, I switched to Opera. This was long, long, before Firefox came on the scene. Opera is a terrific browser. One of the things that held back its "usability" is that it is not open-source, so it doesn't have thousands of users contributing thiings like extensions, etc. But bear in mind, many, many of the things that people take for granted in browsers now were first developed by Opera. Firefox is a good browser, but I prefer Opera. The only reason I can see to use Chrome is that it integrates better with Google products, otherwise it is vastly inferior to the other two. By the way, Opera is by far the most configurable browser out there.
perkins

Post by perkins »

...greetings all and may all the years to come be met with a mindful mind, love Opera and it is now running as sweetly as a pee in a bush after one two, three or more too many...have got it enabled in order that 'sites' can see through the lens of a 'foxy' number - it is indeed an innovative Browser that has pushed others in the right direction, ironically enough not as 'free source' but as a truly anarchic anti this that or the next thingy...thanks for your interesting posts and time...have fun... :)
sunewbie

Re: ...Opera high and low notes (solved)

Post by sunewbie »

During my dial-up days, Opera has a feature of loading cached images / no images / images. Since in those days, I mostly used to check by mail and very little surfing, Opera made things easy. FF was not born. I am using Opera since Opera 6 :).

It is innovative and many innovations are taken by others browsers from Opera. Opera used to strickly follow web standards as against IE 5. (I do not know how they follow standards today). So many pages did not load properly in Opera. It's innovative features like first tabbed interface, notes, speed dial , trash can, opera sync made Opera my main browser.

However, as said by other minters ;), Opera does have some compatibility, not because of bugs, but since many web devs do not keep opera and standards (strickly) in mind while designing websites.

Recently, after introducing extensions, Opera cold start (first start after OS booting) has increased a lot and it freezes seconds after starting for few seconds in XP and not Linux (atleast Ubuntu based). Again it has closing issues, reasons unknown, since 10.10. A Process keeps running in back ground even after opera is closed and it will not allow Opera to launch, since it is already running. So I have to end process from task manager.

Refer the link in opera forum

Problems when closing down Opera 11.50

Chrome has kept focus on javascript / jscript, so sites using more scripts load faster in Chrome than any other browser (just an observation, no proof).

6 week release cycle has not helped FF.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”