Audio Stops Working After Suspend

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Mindstormscreator

Audio Stops Working After Suspend

Post by Mindstormscreator »

Hello! I am new to GNU / Linux and LMDE is my first dive in.

So far I really like LMDE, however I've been experiencing some quirks. In this post I'd like to bring up that after suspending my laptop and resuming, sound stops working completely until a reboot. I tried searching around the forum for a similar issue but found nothing this specific.

I have 64-bit LMDE installed on a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6104 and the audio manager reports my sound device as "Conexant CX20551".

I have followed the instructions here for removing PulseAudio and installing Alsa, so I don't use PulseAudio currently (it was giving me tons of problems with Skype and Flash video playback).

Sound works great before suspending, and after resuming from it all the settings in the Volume Control (which I added to the panel after installing Alsa) seem normal. Nothing muted, everything turned up reasonably high. But I still get no sound then.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: Audio Stops Working After Suspend

Post by Gerd50 »

Possibly turn off ACPI could help. If not, there are a lot of bug reports for the problem which you describe. The views for
a solution don't look good :(
Mindstormscreator

Gerd50 wrote:Possibly turn off ACPI could help.
How would I go about doing that? (Maybe I should have posted this in the "noob questions" section)

Too bad there always seems to be audio issues with LMDE, I really want to switch to it entirely (I also have Windows installed) but I can't until these problems are solved.

I'm going to try a fresh install on another system and work from bottom-up until I encounter the problem again; this might help determine what is causing it.

Thanks for the help though.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

You can try to turn off acpi in the BIOS or edit the file /etc/default/grub. Change the line

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
to

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off"
Too bad there always seems to be audio issues with LMDE
That's not true, not always :) Your sound problem is specific for Toshiba Satellite P100/P105 and the sound chips codec AC97.
Mindstormscreator

Gerd50 wrote:edit the file /etc/default/grub.
Tried it, it really messed up my computer bad (I couldn't even get it to suspend!), so I had to undo it. :?
Gerd50 wrote:Your sound problem is specific for Toshiba Satellite P100/P105 and the sound chips codec AC97.
I find this believable now because on another "identical" installation of LMDE on another laptop this issue does not exist.

I am, however, planning on buying this laptop soon: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pde ... 2000015571
Do you think (or anybody really) that this laptop will have this problem? Or, where could I look to see which laptop models have which specific bugs associated with them?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I don't think the Toshiba Satellite P770-ST5GX2 will have this problem. If you want to go safe, search for this model in
Linux forums. I searched for it on ubuntuusers.de and debianforum.de. Nothing negative reported there.

Edit: i found this thread - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=89140 - you could ask there.
DtheFab

Post by DtheFab »

Solution is SO SIMPLE you won't believe it:

Simply Run Windows Update. Go to Control Panel, Select Windows Update.

Works 100% of the time.

I had this same audio issue with my Toshiba Satellite T115-S1100 and tried everything else, but it turns out the issue is with Windows.
Mindstormscreator

Gerd50 wrote:I don't think the Toshiba Satellite P770-ST5GX2 will have this problem.
Good, because I actually just ordered a similar model tonight. :D
DtheFab wrote: Simply Run Windows Update. Go to Control Panel, Select Windows Update.
Works 100% of the time.
This confuses me. So I booted up Windows on my dual boot setup and ran Windows Update. I installed the most recent updates. I shut down, rebooted into Windows, and then rebooted into LMDE again. The issue is not fixed.

I don't understand, how was that supposed to do anything? :lol:
You don't happen to mean some sort of "Windows Update" inside LMDE, do you? :?

Well it doesn't really matter anyway since I'm getting a new laptop :)
kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kalimerox »

I have a smiliar issue with a thinkpad t60. sound works fine for flash applications, after suspending and restarting no sound..
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi kalimerox,

please open an own thread for your thinkpad t60 audio issue. There are some thinkpad owners here, but they will
not find your question at this place :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”