nvidia GeForce PNY 6200 graphics card [ SOLVED ]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

nvidia GeForce PNY 6200 graphics card [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi

I have just bought the above graphics card for my pc. I have installed the hardware and it is basically working. I have followed the how to topic on how to install the legacy drivers. If I use root terminal with the folliowing command as stated in the topic all it does is abort.

apt install nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig

so I then used package manager which installed the drivers. My problem is that all I get is a blank screen. What am I doing wrong ? at the moment I am usin the earlier boot up screen 2........ not version 3........

running inxi -Gx in terrminal I get the following

Graphics: Card nVidia NV44A [GeForce 6200] X.Org 1.10.4 Res: 1440x900@75.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A

any help please :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gavinhc

Re: nvidia GeForce PNY 6200 graphics card

Post by gavinhc »

It looks like the Nvidia kernel module isn't loading on boot. You could try to rebuild it using the procedure I posted here.
Dar-es-Salaam

Re: nvidia GeForce PNY 6200 graphics card [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi

As you can see I have resolved the problem but in my own way. as I have a duel boot with windows and that needed sorting out as well I did a complete reinstallation of both os systems.

I also found out that I had to put windows on first as it did not like doing it the other way round. No idea why though, possably to do with the partition maker. I had to use GParted in the end couldn't get the other version to work.

Still all's well that end well

Thanks for your help.

Now trying to overclock my pc to get the graphics card to work better. Never done it before, fingers crossed :D :D
secipolla

Re: nvidia GeForce PNY 6200 graphics card [ SOLVED ]

Post by secipolla »

The GF 6200 uses the current driver, not the legacy one.
You can use sgfxi to install it or download it from the NVIDIA site (or use the Debian packages for it, but I've never done so).

Return to “LMDE Archive”