Dual boot with Win XP won't work

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Re: Dual boot with Win XP won't work

Post by McLovin »

did you move your WinXP to the back? That may have cause some data corruption. You never want to move the start point of a partition, this moves the data to other areas and causes all kinds of issues as far as I have seen, I tried that once and completely hosed my Windows and had to completely redo my entire system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Post by Guest »

You will have no end of problems if you try to run windows on anything other than the first partition of the first hard drive. Even if you eventually get it to work, problems will continually crop up when you install software or make changes to your windows system. You just have to face the fact that windows will only kinda work Microsoft's way and almost not at all any other way.

I know you don't want to hear this, but your best bet is to use a live cd, (puppy linux is a good choice but there are many others), to make a backup of your data that you have in windows and burn it to a cd or dvd, if you don't have a recent backup. Then partition and reformat the first hard drive, first partition, with enough space for your windows system. The second partition would be your linux swap, and the rest of the disk your /root and if you desire, a /home partition. If you have other hard drives in your system you might want to put your /home partition on another drive.

After partitioning and reformatting, install your windows system. Then install linux and don't try to move the windows install. Mint will pick up the windows install and set the boot up for you, if you let it.

Good luck,
Fred

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Then partition and reformat the first hard drive, first partition, with enough space for your windows system.
Yes, Windows prefers to be on the first partition... :twisted:

Return to “Installation & Boot”