Ubuntu 7.1 to Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cutiger95

Ubuntu 7.1 to Mint

Post by cutiger95 »

Is there a way to convert an Ubuntu box over to a Mint box without doing a complete install from the live cd's. I have looked on the Ubuntu site and on this forum but evidently am not bright enough to hit the right keywords for that task.

If there is please let me know. I don't like having two different boot distro's. I have tried geubuntu, xubuntu, and a couple other derivatives. But now I would like to convert my network workhorse over and don't won't to deal with locating all the printer drivers, scanner drivers, and other pains that will come with a totally fresh install.

Thanks for your help ahead of time, and I am already running Mint on my laptop. Now if I could just get shutterfly to cooperate my wife would run it on hers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cutiger95

Re: Ubuntu 7.1 to Mint

Post by cutiger95 »

Exactly I want to keep all the settings, emails, etc.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I doubt this is possible. Your emails is easy to backup, the trouble being that Mint use Thunderbird while Ubuntu use evolution, so the best option is to store them as html or txt. Settings are most likely non transfreable. You could use FEBE to backup Firefox settings and extension..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
cutiger95

Post by cutiger95 »

Thanks guys, I will let you know if I figure it out.

My laptop is now totally Minty and awesome. The biggest thing that I have had to do with it is all the firefox tweaks and speeding it up. Making a few little boolean changes from false to true makes my system smoke. but it has taken me better than two days to get it to this point.

So in the end if there isn't a proven conversion I'll just stick with the tried and true and blow away the current install of ubuntu and create effectively a Minty server.

Mint just works and I love it.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

To clarify guys, while Linux Mint 4.0 is Ubuntu 7.10 compatible it is NOT Ubuntu 7.10. There seems to be a misconception that Linux Mint is little more than Ubuntu with some different defaults and a few Minty tools thrown on top. Not so. Linux Mint more or less forked from Ubuntu at Edgy Eft (Ubuntu 6.10) on which all subsequent Mint editions have been based (albeit with heavy tweaking.) (Please, Mint devs, correct me if I'm mistaken.) Much is taken from each Ubuntu release since Edgy to update Mint and maintain compatibility with the current Ubuntu repositories. It's probably possible to "mintify" a stock Ubuntu Gutsy desktop by adding the Mint repositories and installing the correct themes, custom mint tools, etc. but doing so does not magically create Linux Mint 4.0. If you want Linux Mint, my advice would be to backup your home directory (Clem just released a tool, mintbackup for this very purpose) and install Linux Mint.

As for the comment by another user about Mint's Thunderbird posing some difficulty versus Ubuntu's Evolution...that's not an obstacle. Nothing prevents users from installing and using Evolution in Mint. (That's what I do!)
cutiger95

Danka very much

Post by cutiger95 »

Thanks,

That is exactly what I wound up doing. I simply saved the home directory to a second harddrive and installed Mint on the sytsem. It is working spectacularly by the way. I have also Macified my laptop with the Mint engine effectively behind it. Mint simply works most places that Ubuntu does not.

Thanks to Clem for all of the work, I love it and am truly glad that I found it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”