Linux Mint Debian Edition User Guide

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
BostonPeng

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition User Guide

Post by BostonPeng »

I finally remembered to look at my downloaded version of the site last night and I noticed some of it still needs to be translated. I also noticed that some of the translations don't quite read properly in English (I'm not criticizing, merely pointing it out). I can't speak Italian but I'm willing to do what I can to translate the site.
borgio3

Post by borgio3 »

Hi to all, wow, i'm surprised for all your comments!
Thanks! Thanks a lot.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I just realized the 4th image on the Installation page (lmde-xfce_install_4.png) appears to be cut off a little way down. I thought it may just be on my local copy but I pulled up just the image and forced a refresh from the server and the problem is still there.
Viking78

Post by Viking78 »

Just wanted to say thankyou for this guide, bookmarked it for later use if/when needed.
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

mockturtl wrote:The link works for me too. Try "incognito mode" in your browser to get a clean cache, maybe, and be sure you aren't blocking outbound traffic to 178.63.8.150.

See michelsberg's post: wget will tell you about the failure.
Tried icognito in chromium... Simply cannot get this link/url to do anything but spin. What does one do in Linux to see if that IP is being blocked? Why would it be blocked??
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

I need help downloading with 'wget' as suggested by:

Code: Select all

wget --recursive --level=4 --convert-links http://livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_LMDE/index_en.html
When I try this I get error msg : Bad port number. Converted 0 files in 0 seconds.

Thanks in advance for help.

The error msg was a typo on my part, but I still do not get the download.

I now get the following msg:

Resolving livelinux.altervista.org... 178.63.8.150
Connecting to livelinux.altervista.org|178.63.8.150|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

Does this mean I should keep trying?
michelsberg

Post by michelsberg »

polyjuice wrote:

wget --recursive --level=4 --convert-links http://livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_LMDE/index_en.html
I now get the following msg:

Resolving livelinux.altervista.org... 178.63.8.150
Connecting to livelinux.altervista.org|178.63.8.150|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.
Does this mean I should keep trying?
I would think so. I just tried it again and had no problem here, so it looks like a connection issue. The server may not have the best connection.
sanda

Post by sanda »

borgio3, this is a great guide!
I salute you !!!
Frannoe

Post by Frannoe »

Guauuu.... great and fantastic work!
Thank you very much!
Grande Giorgio...Grande LMDE!!!!!
diazepan11

Post by diazepan11 »

how can I help with the translation?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@diazepan11
I started working on improved English translations but the task got bumped back by some other things. Which language were you wanting to help translate? If it's English I could let you know how far I had gotten, plus which spots I'm having problems getting translated.
diazepan11

Post by diazepan11 »

BostonPeng wrote:@diazepan11
I started working on improved English translations but the task got bumped back by some other things. Which language were you wanting to help translate? If it's English I could let you know how far I had gotten, plus which spots I'm having problems getting translated.
To spanish, from the English translation
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

diazepan11 wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:@diazepan11
To spanish, from the English translation
In that case I should get busy fixing the English translation. I'd hate to see how rough the translation from Italian to Google English to Spanish reads, especially as tough some of the Google English is to read.

I'm working with a LIbeOffice Word file to help me remember what changes I'm making, and where I need to do more work, and then I will go ahead and actually edit the HTML files to send to borgio. Maybe I should post the file online so that my edits can be seen and others can put in their $.02.

@borgio3:
How does this idea sound to you?
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

michelsberg wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:At the risk of being a pain, is there any chance we could get an offline version? I know I'm going to forget about this if it's buried in my Chromium bookmarks.
You can create an offline version by yourself, by just downloading the website.
Open a terminal and navigate to a folder of choice, e.g. your desktop:

cd ~/Desktop     # 'cd' is change directory; '~' is short for your home directory
Then download the guide:

This will create a folder livelinux.altervista.org which you can safely rename or move to another location.
To view the guide's frontpage, open livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_LMDE/index_en.html.

You can usually create a shortcut to the file by drag-and-drop'ing it to a panel.
I'm always a day late and a dollar short, but I gotta thank you for your post. I had no idea you could 'capture' an entire website onto your hard drive :!: I was wishing I could somehow download this and you answered my query. Now I'm able to take the user guide with me wherever I go. :wink:

michelsberg

Post by michelsberg »

bootmakr wrote:
michelsberg wrote:

I'm always a day late and a dollar short, but I gotta thank you for your post. I had no idea you could 'capture' an entire website onto your hard drive :!: I was wishing I could somehow download this and you answered my query. Now I'm able to take the user guide with me wherever I go. :wink:

Sure, glad to help!
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

mockturtl wrote:The link works for me too. Try "incognito mode" in your browser to get a clean cache, maybe, and be sure you aren't blocking outbound traffic to 178.63.8.150.

See michelsberg's post: wget will tell you about the failure.
No go. Neither incognito mode nor wget works. Is the website still active?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Both English and Italian work fine for me in Chromium.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

BostonPeng wrote:Both English and Italian work fine for me in Chromium.
No go for me in either Google Chrome, Chromium, Firefox or wget.
turin13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by turin13 »

Good job! We need to translate it to another languages. I can help with Russian.
But, I found a mistake in the manual. In a Wine part it gives us the Ubuntu way to install Wine. In LMDE it won't work.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for catching that, turin. I'll try to look at it in the English version of the site before the week's out since I already have some changes to send borgio this week.

Return to “LMDE Archive”