Sound muted when I start up/login?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
affirmedatheist

Sound muted when I start up/login?

Post by affirmedatheist »

It's minor, but I'm finding the fact that my box is automatically setting sound to 'mute' upon login to be, well, annoying.

It's about the only problem. Sound otherwise works fine, I'm just wondering if there's some sort of command I can set to run at startup to rid myself of this annoyance.

As I say, everything else works fine - great even. Multiple programs are running sound concurrently, even (I had previously been having the issue of only being able to have sound from one application at a time, but when I switched to the Mint Incoming repos (and updated to the latest software) this issue seems to have solved itself. This is more or less the last niggling problem I have with audio.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
impuwat

Re: Sound muted when I start up/login?

Post by impuwat »

Any answers? I've had the same exact problem. Love Mint overall but this little problem is wearing on me. Having to go to "preferences" then "sound" then unchecking "mute" on a regular basis.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi impuwat,

you read this? - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=83444 - Point 5 - Deatails! Details! Details!
No help possible without details. For the specs of your soundcard please post the output of

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
Are you member of the group audio?

grep "^audio" /etc/group | grep "$USER" | wc -l
Do you use alsa, pulseaudio or both?
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

I have a similar problem ..... I AM a member of the audio group, and I have an Intel sound card;

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Linux 2.6.39-2-486 #1 Tue Jul 5 02:52:23 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

(irq and hex deleted for security reasons)

Here are the symptoms I experience:
My alsa mixer defaults to the master slide being all the way down (muted?) with the headphone,speaker, PCM, line in, and beep slides all the way to the top (max sound?). This happens every time I change from one audio/video to another (whether You Tube, news sites, or other sites having mp3 sound, etc.). The only way I can listen with the headphones when this happens is to open the Alsa Mixer, slide the master all the way to the top, slide the speaker all the way down, mute the speaker, then unmute it again, and the headphones will work without the speaker! If I don't mute/unmute the speaker, the headphones won't work at all :?
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Perhaps your ALSA mixer settings aren't being saved between sessions. Once you have chosen your preferred settings, run this command in a terminal:

alsactl store
If it is any consolation, it took me ages to find this solution when I had the same problem!
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Thanks Brian49, I'll try that.
Found out that I had to use sudo

sudo alsactl store
put ion my password, and then it seemed to accept it ..... I'll test it now.

That didn't work, I'm back to square one!
bootmakr
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Now that I've removed pulseaudio and alsa, and re-installed alsa, then used the command you posted, everything works fine! THX
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I've never liked PulseAudio - an unnecessary additional layer of software. One of the good things about LMDE is that you can completely remove PulseAudio with no negative effects; I could never manage that on standard Linux Mint, probably because Ubuntu is so heavily committed to PulseAudio.

Return to “LMDE Archive”