Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molom

Re: Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Post by molom »

This Fluxbox edition is really good, it seems to be way better than Fluxbuntu.
Last edited by molom on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
molom

Post by molom »

Can we also make Linux Mint Daryna Openbox CE and Linux Mint Daryna Blackbox CE ;)
I think we have just about finished are DE editions, so far we are making or already have:
- Linux Mint KDE
- Linux Mint Gnome
- Linux Mint XFCE
- Linux Mint Fluxbox
- Linux Mint E17
I think thats all be really need. We have two eyecandy DE's (KDE and E17) and three light DE's (XFCE, Fluxbox and E17) and a main DE (Gnome).

Does anyone think that there should be another Linux Mint DE CE?

Cheers,
molom
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

merlwiz79 wrote:
exploder wrote:merlwiz79 , I wondered why mplayer would not work with pls files, thanks for the explanation. Do you think the solution I came up with would be ok for the final release or do you think it would be better to try and edit the mplayer config file to get mplayer to work with shoutcast instead?

I am also finding out what clem meant in the release notes regarding the tools. if I run mintconfig from the menu I find that some of the tools do not work.

-Devices- "Xfce 4 mixer settings" will not start. "Xfce Printing System Settings" will not start.

-Networking- "Sun Java 6 Policy Tool" will not start.

-Administration- "Mint Update" when I click on it it askes for the password and that's it...

All of these work from other places within the menu, just not from within mintconfig.
Better Fix:

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge mintdesktop-xfce mintconfig-xfce
Now download and install:
mintdesktop-flbx
http://www.4shared.com/file/34102770/61 ... _i386.html
mintconfig-flbx
http://www.4shared.com/file/34101982/71 ... 1_all.html
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

merlwiz79, you amaze me! Mintconfig works perfectly now! Shane is going to like this! Absolutely awesome work!

The additions to the Desktop section really make mintconfig complete. Again, absolutely fantastic work! Your skill and effort have made a big difference!
mandog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mandog »

This is far superior to any other as far as 7.10 is concerned and a real good effort. I used it for a couple of hours as a full setup no major problems apart from conkys as already mentioned. makes a good base for E17.
klaeje
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klaeje »

Hey,

I am really new with fluxbox, and i still discover this distro! :D
its running as a dualboot with cassandra on my pIII with 385ram and is really fast!
when i want to use fluxmenu(is easy for me) not everyting works and after some time my comp freezes! :oops:
before i have no prob.
how can i put this right or back.
or is there, or in the future a manual for fluxbox mint because i'm new with this, and i want fluxbox mint to be my
only distro!

Thx Klaeje
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If anyone wants to move Conky because of the Desktop icon, here is how to do it.

Open Home from the Fluxbox menu.

Click on "View" and put a check in "Show Hidden Files".

Double click on the .conkyrc file to open it.

You will see these lines in the file.

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
alignment top_left
#alignment top_right
#alignment bottom_left
#alignment bottom_right

Change the lines to this.

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
#alignment top_left
alignment top_right
#alignment bottom_left
#alignment bottom_right

Save and close the file.

Now Conky will be on the other side of the screen away from the "Desktop" icon. You can of course place Conky on the bottom left or right of your screen if you want.
xsak

Post by xsak »

A tiny suggestion: As this is a "light" version, I think gdm login manager should be replaced by slim (http://slim.berlios.de).
glenn69
Level 1
Level 1

New user problem

Post by glenn69 »

Looks nice.

I have one problem. I have created a few new users. When i log into the new user, I cannot access the menu by right clicking on the desktop. No response to left, right, or middle click anywhere. Also, none of the Mint "things" seem to be active....ex the desktop icon, the update manager in bottom right, etc..

The problem is exclusive to created users, as my main login functions fine. Just a guess, but is there a script or something that is not loading for the new users?

Thanks for your efforts.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New user problem

Post by merlwiz79 »

glenn69 wrote:Looks nice.

I have one problem. I have created a few new users. When i log into the new user, I cannot access the menu by right clicking on the desktop. No response to left, right, or middle click anywhere. Also, none of the Mint "things" seem to be active....ex the desktop icon, the update manager in bottom right, etc..

The problem is exclusive to created users, as my main login functions fine. Just a guess, but is there a script or something that is not loading for the new users?

Thanks for your efforts.
That's weird, I just tested with the Live CD and it worked fine.
I wrote the original script for Fluxbox, it adds all the defaults to the new user and it uses gdm to do it.
/etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default should have the line:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/fluxmintdefaults/fluxmint.sh
Did you change anything?

If you need to get it to work, copy the .fluxbox, .idesktop and .tilda directories to the new users.
Then copy these files:
.conkyrc
.fehbg
.fehrc
.gtkrc-2.0
.ideskrc
.xsession
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Fro those who want transparency try this.(xcompmgr is in Package Manager)
http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Transparency
molom

Post by molom »

xsak wrote:A tiny suggestion: As this is a "light" version, I think gdm login manager should be replaced by slim (http://slim.berlios.de).
I think this should be used instead if it saves a decent amount of mb's and is faster.

Cheers,
molom
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

molom wrote:
xsak wrote:A tiny suggestion: As this is a "light" version, I think gdm login manager should be replaced by slim (http://slim.berlios.de).
I think this should be used instead if it saves a decent amount of mb's and is faster.

Cheers,
molom
Most of the mint apps rely on GDM, including the default settings.
If this was removed nothing would work like it does.
glenn69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glenn69 »

That's weird, I just tested with the Live CD and it worked fine.
I wrote the original script for Fluxbox, it adds all the defaults to the new user and it uses gdm to do it.
/etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default should have the line:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/fluxmintdefaults/fluxmint.sh
Yes that line is in the file, however it is in the file 12 times. 12 consecutive lines of the same text.
I removed all the duplicates and left one.
Did you change anything?
Nothing has been changed, other than to add the new users. It is one of the first things I tried.
If you need to get it to work, copy the .fluxbox, .idesktop and .tilda directories to the new users.
Then copy these files:
.conkyrc
.fehbg
.fehrc
.gtkrc-2.0
.ideskrc
.xsession
I copied all of these files. Still no change.
The worst effect is not being able to access thr menu via right click on the screen. The mouse pointer moves around fine, the system is not "hung." It simply won't respond to normal fluxbox input. :?

To "logout" I kill the x server with CTRL ALT BACKSPACE. That is the only thing that seems to work.
Again, this problem is ONLY for the users that I have added via the System -> Users and Groups menu item. My main user remains fine.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Change the permissions for those folders and files for that user, using F2.
sascha frost

Post by sascha frost »

Hi, congratulations to this great distro, its the best Fluxboxedition I've seen for a long time although its beta.

I use Linux (not only Ubuntu) for more than two years now, but I am still a noob anyways and have two questions ^^

I understood, that I can move the desktopsymbol (instead of changing the .conkyrc) by holding the ctrl while dragging it to another place. This way might be easier for some people maybe. But I would like to know now, how to stop idesk and keeping it from startin again automatically. I love Fluxbox because of the clean and symbolfree desktop and its not a big deal to make a desktop shortcut to the Fluxboxmenu, if its needed.

My second question is, if there is a program (in development maybe) which makes it easier to build and switch between totally different designprofiles (wallpaper, Fluxmenustyle, windowborders, buttonstyle and so on) by once.

Thanks to all the people who are working on this distro!!!
glenn69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glenn69 »

OK, problem fixed.

Recap: My system functioned fine, except for newly created users. New users could not access any fluxbox menus or any Mint specific additions. Just a blank desktop with a mouse pointer.

Solution: (Thanks to this forum) Was to do the following:
Then copy these files:
.conkyrc
.fehbg
.fehrc
.gtkrc-2.0
.ideskrc
.xsession
However, that alone did not solve the problem.
I then had to change the permissions for the .fluxbox directory. I simply changed owner of .fluxbox directory to the user by chown -R <username> .fluxbox. I'm not sure if the recursive chown will cause problems, but it's what I did.

This however seems to be something that the create new user option should handle automatically. I've made no other changes that should affect this. Possibly something to look into.

Thanks for a great start to a fluxbox system. i really like it.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I read this review on the Fluxbox CE yesterday. http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/01/10 ... 6-2-256mb/

I do not agree with everything in the review but some of the comments were very positive.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I agree exploder. A big disappointment was that there wasn't enough emphasis placed on the fact that this was a beta release and a first. I suppose that's the price Mint (any addition) will pay due to the successes over the past year.
To all who contribute: Great job!
thinx

Post by thinx »

I tried to configure the keybindings using the fluxkeys tool, found in the menu under fluxbox tools.
After saving my keybindings i had to realize that mouse doesnt properly work any longer.

After some search in google i found out that the fluxkeys tool is destroying the ~/.fluxboxs/keys file
by overriding the "OnDesktop" setting for Mouse Actions with "None".
As a result the you can't focus Windows anymore, and actions in the Menu, if you can open it, are ignored.

This can be undone by manualy editing your keys file and replace the "None" with "OnDesktop" again.

But i would supose to not include this tool in the distro, or at least not to link it in the Menu.
Users new to Fluxbox could get very irritated by that.

the Bug Report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/178957

Besides that i'm very thrilled by this fluxbox-Mint Distro, looks great, feels great ! :)
At the Moment i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with fluxbox (installed over the repos, and configured by hand).
I had a look at fluxbuntu, but it could not really convince me.
Would be great to have a Mint-Fluxbox Distro :mrgreen:

I'll keep looking for bugs ;) ...

Return to “Software & Applications”