Compiz issues

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintberrycrunch

Compiz issues

Post by mintberrycrunch »

whenever I activate compiz, the top and bottom task bars disappear.

Also compiz will not start automatically after restart. I am not sure how to fill in the command section under the Startup applications.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Compiz issues

Post by Reddog1 »

I couldn't get compiz to work on Gnome, old Gnome, nor in MATE. The only way was to load the Cairo-Dock desktop. Compiz works fine, for me, that way, and loads automatically with cairo-dock. I have no idea why this is. I've been using compiz for years, and none of my tricks to get it working on the other desktops were successful.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

mintberrycrunch wrote:whenever I activate compiz
In which version of mint? If 12 then compiz is not compatible.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Compiz does work with Mint 12 and the cairo-dock desktop. I'm running it right now, wobbly windows and all. I haven't tried all the effects, so some may not work, but compiz definitely does.

With Mint 11, I had to do some downgrading, but I eventually got compiz and Emerald running there, too. Emerald in 12 is a complete no-go, though (well, possibly, but there are a lot of libs missing and the installation of everything, if it can even be done, looks to be a nightmare).
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Reddog1 wrote:Compiz does work with Mint 12 and the cairo-dock desktop
Cairo dock uses a patched gtk+ to make it work, however compiz is not compatible with mutter which is used by gnome shell. It should work in MATE.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mintberrycrunch

Post by mintberrycrunch »

i am using gnome on mint 12.

can you help me with this one:

when I activiate compiz, my top and bottom task bars disappear. how can i make it visable?
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

You can't. The panels are part of Gnome-shell, which uses the Mutter window manager.

You can only have one window manager running. If you turn on the Compiz window manager you automatically turn off Mutter.

If you turn off Mutter then by extension you turn off Gnome-shell and the panels.

If you really want to run Compiz then you have the following options:

1. Choose the MATE option at login
2. Install Ubunut's Unity desktop in Mint 12
3. Create your own custom session with some other replacement panel/dock.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Hmmmm--wonder why I can't get it working with MATE. Guess I'll have to muck about with it some more and maybe find out what my problem is. Works well with cairo-dock, though.
podagee

Post by podagee »

again ill repost:
here is another way:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86822

to use it in gnome 2:
compiz works in gnome 2 in mint 12.you need to install everything then go to start up applications
click on add
on name type "compiz" or whatever you want to call it.
then tab to command
type in this:
compiz --replace
then click on add.

now you will have it added to your start up apps.
make sure that it is ticked.
reboot computer and compiz effects should be working in gnome 2

gnome 3 will not have a desktop when the compiz is ticked in start up apps
to go into gnome 3 again just untick compiz from the start up apps.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”