Printing fails after first page due to gs segfault

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mfs

Printing fails after first page due to gs segfault

Post by mfs »

Hi,

I've been using LMDE for quite a while now and never had problems with my printer (Kyocera FS 1020D connected to a FritzBox printing server).
But for some weeks now, it's been driving me crazy. When I try to print a PDF the first page (means front and back in duplex mode) is printed, but then the printer tells me that it encountered a "printing error". But in the CUPS error_log (attached) I cannot see anything looking dangerous. However, in the syslog, there is a line reading

Code: Select all

kernel: [ 6793.329576] gs[13646]: segfault at 7fff00000058 ip 00007fc7a9fbb841 sp 00007fffd817c310 error 4 in libgs.so.9.04[7fc7a9e48000+52d000]
I tried the CUPS and gs versions from incoming, debian testing, stable and unstable, but essentially nothing changes - only sometimes the gs segfault in the syslog vanishes, but nevertheless printing fails.

Has anybody an idea what the problem could be?

Thank you for your help,
mfs.

EDIT: These are the versions of CUPS and ghostscript I'm currently using:

Code: Select all

Package cups:                                   
i   1.5.0-12                                      testing,unstable          100 
Package cups-bsd:
i A 1.5.0-12                                      testing,unstable          100 
Package cups-client:
Package cups-common:
Package cups-driver-gutenprint:
i A 5.2.7-2                                       testing,unstable          700 
Package cups-pdf:
i A 2.6.1-3                                       testing,unstable          100 
Package cups-ppdc:
Package ghostscript-cups:
i A 9.04~dfsg-2                                   testing,unstable          100 
Package libcups2:
Package libcupscgi1:
i   1.5.0-12                                      testing,unstable          100 
Package libcupsdriver1:
Package libcupsimage2:
Package libcupsmime1:
Package libcupsppdc1:
Package libgnomecups1.0-1:
i A 0.2.3-4                                       testing,unstable          100 
Package python-cups:
i   1.9.48-1+b1                                   testing,unstable          700 
Package python-cupshelpers:
i   1.2.3-3                                       stable,testing,unstable   700
Package ghostscript:                                   
i A 9.04~dfsg-2                                 testing,unstable           100 
Package ghostscript-cups:
i A 9.04~dfsg-2                                 testing,unstable           100 
Package ghostscript-x:
i   9.04~dfsg-2                                  testing,unstable           100 
EDIT2: I investigated the problem a bit further.The gs segfault showing up in syslog seems to be the cause of the printing problem. When I tail -f syslog and CUPS error_log during printing I see that everything works well until the gs segfault occurs. Then printing stops with the "printer error" (in case I use one of the Foomatic PPDs) or it prints a page that is completely black (in case I use the CUPS+Gutenprint PPD).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hgrail

Re: Printing fails after first page due to gs segfault

Post by hgrail »

I'm running into the same thing. Has anyone had luck fixing this?

Return to “LMDE Archive”