CD rip quality problems

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mint123

CD rip quality problems

Post by mint123 »

As I've always done on Julia and Mint Debian 201101 with no problem, to get variable bitrate 192kbps mp3 files, I adjusted the gstreamer mp3 pipeline to

Code: Select all

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0 vbr-quality=2 ! id3v2mux
and I've seen on older versions of gstreamer taking vbr-quality=192 instead of quality=2. Neither have any effect anymore.

In LMDE, I have tried to adjust this by three ways. Directly through Sound Juicer's properties, through
gconf/system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/profiles/mp3
and last by

Code: Select all

sudo gnome-audio-profiles-properties
If I rip the cd in Banshee, it' defaults to ogg format (How do I change this?), and again by terminal and gconf I can change the bitrate from 128 to 160 by entering "quality=192" into the pipeline. :shock:

This is on Mint Debian 201109 64 bit with update pack 3. Is there anything else I can do or is this a bug? Is there an official place I can report this?

Thank you.

EDIT- I thought installing the package 'gstreamer0.10-lame' would make a difference, but none. :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mint123

Re: CD rip quality problems

Post by mint123 »

Well I've not exactly fixed this but found a very suitable work around. Changing the encoding properties in Banshee (right click on Audio CD under ONLINE MEDIA, go to Properties) allows me to set mp3 and quality level from 1-10 and variable or average bitrates. Setting 9 seems to be 256 variable, 8 192 and so on.

Not bad, I haven't solved the problem with Sound Juicer & Gstreamer but don't need to now.
DataMan

Re: CD rip quality problems

Post by DataMan »

I'd suggest that you take a peek at Asunder if you haven't already.

-DataMan

Return to “LMDE Archive”