Search function in Cinnamon Menu

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Search function in Cinnamon Menu

Post by vistad »

Cinnamon menu search field worked great in Gnome 2 searching repositories and local files. I really really miss it! We need it. Clem, please put it back!
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
veggen

Re: Search function in Cinnamon Menu

Post by veggen »

Back then it wasn't Cinnamon, but I get the gist. I pretty sure the menu features will eventually be ported, it just takes time.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Baby steps, in Cinnamon 1.1.4. the search will filter system settings as well (e.g. if you type "mouse" the mouse settings in system settings will appear), hopefully not too long from now it will zeitgeist integration so you can filter recently used files and folders - but, searching repositories? Did the old Mint Menu do that? I don't remember ever seeing an uninstalled repo package in mint menu. There's a gnome shell extension that does exactly that, I'll try and port it to Cinnamon at some port.
cgrantmccool

Post by cgrantmccool »

I am currently getting around this issue with Gnome-Do...I've crippled it down to internet searches and within file folders that I have tons of junk in. It works alright, but, of course, you have to change the keyboard macro for how to activate Gnome-Do so it doesn't conflict with the Special key opening up the regular Menu.

With the number of files and subject areas I deal with a fast, indexed search of key folders is an essential function, for me.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The menu on Linux Mint 11 indeed also searched for installable packages in the repository.

Does dalcde's Classic Menu applet not provide this functionality on Cinnamon? http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/46

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”