Dual Monitor (NVIDIA): No Panels, Window Borders, etc

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sysoutnull

Dual Monitor (NVIDIA): No Panels, Window Borders, etc

Post by sysoutnull »

Mint Version:
  • 12 Lisa 64bits
Hardware:
  • Laptop: Dell M1330
    Graphics card: GeForce Go 8400M GS
Goal:
  • Dual Monitor with a Samsung TV (HDMI)
Tool:
  • nvidia-settings
What happened:
  • After 1st login: No Panels
    After 2nd login: No Panels + No Window Borders + Lost Mint ‘Theme’ for icons, widgets, etc
    Rebooted several times: No Panels + No Window Borders + Lost Mint ‘Theme’ for icons, widgets, etc - Eventually the screen freezes.
Details: I’ve used the [nvidia-settings] to configure a dual monitor setup (in order to see videos on my Samsung TV using a HDMI cable). After the usual configuration, monitor detection, etc (I’ve being doing this with “vanilla” Ubuntu since version 9.04) I restarted X so I could use the dual monitor feature, basically I logged out and in again, after that I could no longer see any menu panels from ‘Gnome 3’, not the bottom neither the top one. Hopefully I can open a terminal right clicking on the desktop and I could “sudo shutdown -r now”, after that I logged in again but this time not only I could not see the panels but the window borders are also gone. After a while the screen freezes and I need to "Alt+F6" to get an 'text login' and restart again. I was using so far a Ubuntu 10.10 without any issues, for the same set up. Could anyone help me? :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mileon

Re: Dual Monitor (NVIDIA): No Panels, Window Borders, etc

Post by mileon »

Hi

I have equal errors. If i enable my second screen in nvidia.settings, the windows lost borders and the desktop panels. Back to one screen is all good. I has tested all additional driver and the actual from nvidia. No effects.

My system:
Mint Lisa with all updates
1. Geforce 8600GT - Screen 20" Samsung
2. Geforce 84GS - 19" Benq

Thx for help

bye
jamied_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jamied_uk »

same issue with linux mint 12 and nvidia 8500 gt with my tv dual tv says not detected any ideas?
gdalton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gdalton »

Same issue here :? Hw/Sw config:
Linux Mint 12 x64
Asus G73J Series Notebook
GeForce GTX 460M/PCI/SSE2
2nd screen Acer AL2216W
gdalton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gdalton »

Got it to work. I was lucky to backup my Ubuntu xorg.conf file before loading Mint 12. I was running an older nVidia driver at the time (270.29). I've replaced all the content of my current MInt xorg.conf with the following and it just works (note you might have to change some of the configuration settings to accomodate your system) :

# start of xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 270.41.06 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-08.nvidia.com) Mon Apr 18 15:14:00 PDT 2011

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 270.29 (buildd@allspice) Fri Feb 25 14:42:07 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Acer AL2216W"
HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GTX 460M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x2; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
# end of xorg.conf
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

mileon wrote:I have equal errors. If i enable my second screen in nvidia.settings, the windows lost borders and the desktop panels. Back to one screen is all good.
Similar problem here. nVidia driver works fine with single screen. Enable the second monitor with nvidia-settings and reboot, and after I login, I see the icons I've placed on the desktop but no menu for starting anything else. Mouse pans fine across both screens. Put back the previous single monitor xorg.conf and reboot, and I get the menu back.

Can't use the nouveau driver with dual monitors either because it has a bug where it thinks the second monitor is connected via HDMI (this is what xrandr shows) and so I never get any output on it, whereas the monitor is actually connected via DVI - the dual head video card (Geforce GTS250) only has DVI outputs. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/890088.
Daikini

Post by Daikini »

Hi Folks,

I'm using the nouveau driver without the HDMI issue.

See my post here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 67#p580737

Any ideas?

Return to “Software & Applications”