Firefox-Upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Arran

Firefox-Upgrade

Post by Arran »

Today I received the message, that I should upgrade to Firefox 9.0.1 and the Africaan language pack. Why???
I have Iceweasel 9.0.1 since quite a number of weeks and I have installed the «Alternative German language pack».

Why do I receive this notice?
What happens when I follow this upgrade?

I do not understand why LMDE-users are pestered with FF when Debian uses Iceweasel as a 1:1 clone of Firefox.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: Firefox-Upgrade

Post by Gerd50 »

Why do I receive this notice?
Possibly because you are running mintupdate-debian?
What happens when I follow this upgrade?
I don't know, but maybe you would have FF in Africaans if you follow :lol:

Why don't you ignore the message or comment out the mint repos if you don't want messages like this? From which i
read in your posts you are more the adventurous type of LMDE user and you don't need the 'safe way' direction?
Arran

Post by Arran »

Gerd

I do not want to miss out on any upgrades, once they come for the applications I installed. I am not happy about this FF one. So, no way to change my sources.list.

I was quite pissed of with Kubuntu when I had to wait nearly 5 month for Gimp 2.6.11 to bring the updates. So I started to look for rolling release distribution.

However, I have no time and no «lust» to try this upgrade and hope, to find a solution how I can kill this request repeating itself every time I touch Synaptic.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Arran wrote:...
However, I have no time and no «lust» to try this upgrade and hope, to find a solution how I can kill this request repeating itself every time I touch Synaptic.
Does that mean that Firefox is shown as an installed software in Synaptic. If it is, you'll keep getting "update advice". There's a way to lock a version in Synaptic described over at askubuntu.com: _http://askubuntu.com/questions/9607/what-does-lock-version-do-. But as they point out, it's strictly Synaptic. Other update methods may still show you the update. The suggestion by bodhi.zazen here may get around even that:
-http://askubuntu.com/questions/86226/ke ... 573_86229-

(Apologies in advance for linking to a "ubuntu" related site.)
Arran

Post by Arran »

Thanks. Its OK relating to Ubuntu Websites, sometimes they work for LMDE, sometimes not, depending the mount of tampering by Ubuntu with the Debian code. So I am a bit reluctant.
longtom

Post by longtom »

Afrikaans ... kkkkk kaans ... :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”