Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 16)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 16)

Post by merlwiz79 »

UPDATE: We are moving over about 900 miles and no idea when we'll have a place to live.
We have 90 days to find a job and a place to live after the move.
I won't be able to update cinnamon or the extensions for a long time.
I'll have internet but my laptop doesn't have 3d acceleration graphics drivers.
My desktop will be in storage until we find place to live.
Hope it doesn't take too long.

Feb 04 Update: patched cinnamon-settings to include font, windows, desktop and other theme settings. Added new extension cinnamon-extensions-gpaste

Install All Extensions: Added more extensions.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extensions-auto-move-windows cinnamon-extensions-dock cinnamon-extensions-drive-menu cinnamon-extensions-places-menu cinnamon-extensions-trash cinnamon-extensions-windows-navigator cinnamon-extension-weather cinnamon-extensions-extended-places-menu cinnamon-extensions-system-monitor cinnamon-extensions-gpaste
Just use Cinnamon Settings to enable and dconf-tools to change settings.

https://launchpad.net/~merlwiz79/+archive/cinnamon-ppa
Ubunut Oneiric 11.10 / Linux Mint 12

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu oneiric main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu oneiric main 
Ubuntu Precise 12.04

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu precise main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu precise main 
Cinnamon 1.2.0 Screenshot:
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 27 times in total.
bimsebasse

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by bimsebasse »

Nice one! Are you working on porting the weather extension?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

bimsebasse wrote:Nice one! Are you working on porting the weather extension?
Is this the one?
Screenshot:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Excellent!! Nice work! :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yup, you're a legend.

I'm running out of reasons to use gnome shell :D

With porting being this easy the whole extension issue with Cinnamon isn't really an issue after all.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Getting with Clem to make sure I won't have to make changes later to the extensions.
Hopefully I can get the packages made later tonight.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes until you have extensions there's nothing here not in the official Mint repo, as far as I understand?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

bimsebasse wrote:Yes until you have extensions there's nothing here not in the official Mint repo, as far as I understand?
Yep just have to wait to hear back from Clem.
Once I make the extensions a lot is set in stone and can't be changed without causing problems for the user.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Roger. We're gonna need a main site or at least a half-official place for automated installation of Cinnamon extensions to avoid the situation in Gnome Shell before https://extensions.gnome.org/ launched where you had to download extensions from various unofficial sites all over the net and do the dirty work extracting and moving downloaded folders around yourself. If that's not quite where you're going with the ppa, I imagine webupd8 will have one before long.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I went ahead and added the ppa. Cinnamon is going to be simply great with the attention it is getting. Thanks for this :wink:
crzen

Post by crzen »

I figured out how to get existing MGSE extentions working in cinnamon also. Two things If your going to talk to Clem. Not having to enter the extentions manually into dconf would be a plus, and could you find out which file I can "adjust" to move the weather extention over next to the clock (or the status buttons to the left one block)? For the life of me I cant find it. Not that I'm any good at coding mind you. :?

(EDIT) I just had a thought (which doesnt mean much). For Mint 13 add a catagory (or 2) in the software manager for "approved" extensions and add them to the repos. :wink:
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

crzen wrote:I figured out how to get existing MGSE extentions working in cinnamon also. Two things If your going to talk to Clem. Not having to enter the extentions manually into dconf would be a plus, and could you find out which file I can "adjust" to move the weather extention over next to the clock (or the status buttons to the left one block)? For the life of me I cant find it. Not that I'm any good at coding mind you. :?

(EDIT) I just had a thought (which doesnt mean much). For Mint 13 add a catagory (or 2) in the software manager for "approved" extensions and add them to the repos. :wink:
I would love to add the weather extension, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Any tutorials you guys can point me to?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

See 5g in this thread
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yeah it would be great if a simple way could be devised to add cinnamon extensions and cinnamon themes easily without having to do all the technical work involved...this would help the average user and especially the newbies... either some kind of one click install system like the gnome 3 site has....or adding them to the mint repos for installing with software manager, or something along those lines...whatever would be easiest and best :)
crzen

Post by crzen »

The reason I was thinking software manager and repos is that If the Mint team likes the extension, they could hard code the fuctionality into Mint itself and then just drop it from the repos. An example would be the "color status button" extension. I cant stand those butt ugly symbolic icons. Adding the extension works but it can also be done by changing one word in the panelMenu.js file (Its then subject to changing cinnamon updates). Personally, I think it would be a win all the way around, but what do I know.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

craig10x wrote:yeah it would be great if a simple way could be devised to add cinnamon extensions and cinnamon themes easily without having to do all the technical work involved...this would help the average user and especially the newbies... either some kind of one click install system like the gnome 3 site has....or adding them to the mint repos for installing with software manager, or something along those lines...whatever would be easiest and best :)
Some can be easy to do from a website but others require packages to be installed.
Some also have it's own script needed to work.
Then translations also need to be taken into account.

Finally think I have what was needed to port the extensions.
If I have enough time today I'll get some extensions working and uploaded to the repo.
crzen

Post by crzen »

@merlwiz79. Dont get me wrong, I like (and agree with) how you are porting and putting the extensions all in one place. Thats what is needed IMO, at least until Mint 13 comes out. :mrgreen:

My only concerns are :
1) Letting everyone know where to find your PPA's. (and that they exist)
2) Finding and installing the extentions after PPA repo's are added. (mainly for newbies)
3) Ease of installing and uninstalling the extentions. (including dependancies and finding conflics)
4) Losing the PPA repos and extenstions after an upgrade. (like to Mint 13)
5) Knowing which extentions would be needed, or actualy, which have been included in Mint functionality and are no longer needed after an update or upgrade.

I understand (from your launchpad site) that they are "use at your own risk", but I think your extensions should somehow be incorperated into the software manager (maybe after they become "stable"?). That would address most of these issues and could help Cinnamon develop further. :D

I agree with the thought that pileing on extentions (like in MGSE) is not the best way to go. Hard coding functionality into Cinnamon will improve its speed and stability. But until Cinnamon comes out of alpha, yours is (in IMO) the best Idea yet for bridging that gap.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

crzen wrote:1) Letting everyone know where to find your PPA's. (and that they exist)
It's on the downloads page. http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61
crzen wrote:2) Finding and installing the extentions after PPA repo's are added. (mainly for newbies)
Well they can search for cinnamon in Synaptic and find them. Most probably be called cinnamon-extension-EXTENSION_NAME.
crzen wrote:3) Ease of installing and uninstalling the extentions. (including dependancies and finding conflics)
All the extensions should be tested by me before uploading them to my PPA. Clem might test them be fore he adds any to the main repo.
crzen wrote:4) Losing the PPA repos and extenstions after an upgrade. (like to Mint 13)
They should also be in Linux Mint after I give them to Clem. Any upgrade should also upgrade the extensions as well.
crzen wrote:5) Knowing which extentions would be needed, or actualy, which have been included in Mint functionality and are no longer needed after an update or upgrade.
The ones in the repos will be removed if they are integrated into Cinnamon.
crzen wrote:I understand (from your launchpad site) that they are "use at your own risk", but I think your extensions should somehow be incorperated into the software manager (maybe after they become "stable"?). That would address most of these issues and could help Cinnamon develop further. :D
Well I'm sure Clem has an idea of what he's going to do with that.
It could end up in Software manager but I would want a separate application.
This makes it easier for other developers to adapt Cinnamon to their distro.
With more people using it also brings in more developers helping find and fix any bugs.
crzen

Post by crzen »

ABSOLUTLY!!!! Good point about a separate application. Thats why you guys have the BEST distro. I respectfully yeild to the ones who know what they are doing.
blisbell

Post by blisbell »

I do not post that much, but had to say this is coming alone nicely! The only thing i'm waiting on is moving the panel to top, also making the panel and icon bigger. For example in gnome 2 I would increase the size to 35 from default 24 if I remember correctly.
I will try to help and start porting Extensions to work in Cinnamon.
Extract and place in /home/(your user name)/.local/share/cinnamon/extensions

Add this code to dconf editor org/cinnamon enabled-extensions

['NetMonitor@zdyb.tk', 'temperature@xtranophilist']    
ALT+f2 r to restart Cinnamon

Return to “Cinnamon”