[SOLVED] Still using kernel 2.6.32-5 after Update Pack 3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
marc1uk

[SOLVED] Still using kernel 2.6.32-5 after Update Pack 3

Post by marc1uk »

I've been trying to get various things working in LMDE XFCE recently and have been rather surprised to find my LMDE version isn't at all up-to-date. Probably.
I seemed to be running some very old sources.list, which I've since changed, but after installing MintUpdate-Debian I've found I do seem to have update pack 3 installed. I think.
But while I have the 3.0 kernels installed, I still seem to be running 2.6.32-5, and the kernel 3's don't appear in my grub list. This is causing me particular difficulty as I can't install the associated 2.6.32-5 headers (they require a gcc-4.3 version which is apparently incompatible with my libcc1 version, or something. That's the message I was getting before updating my repos - now I simply can't find the headers at all).

Could someone please walk me through some way of sorting this mess out and seeing what's up-to-date and what isn't? My sources.list points to testing, I've done an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade and the gui mintupdate-debian, and all are saying everything's up-to-date. And yet i'm still on the 3.0 kernel, and am not sure what else might not be up-to-date that should be.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: Still using kernel 2.6.32-5 after Update Pack 3

Post by Gerd50 »

If your sources.list points to testing and you have done a dist-upgrade you can't have up3. What is the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
?

After you installed kernel 3.0 did you run

sudo update-grub
?
marc1uk

Post by marc1uk »

Hi Gerd, thanks for replying. I was just browsing your thread earlier on the sources.list in fact.
Gerd50 wrote:If your sources.list points to testing and you have done a dist-upgrade you can't have up3. What is the output of

inxi -r
?

After you installed kernel 3.0 did you run

sudo update-grub
?
Something seems to be awry here. Clicking the 'Update Pack Info' button gives a dialogue with info on UP3, and at the top of the dialog it says current update pack avaiable; UP3, last update pack used: 3. Certainly seems to think it's installed. I have changed my repos recently (unfortunately i didn't make a note of the previous ones, but i do know the debian ones were on there, though i think they were debian stable IIRC).

The output of

inxi -r 
is:

Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free  
I have no idea when kernel 3.0 was installed; I hadn't really been keeping track of updates, it was only when I tried looking for the headers recently that I found I had a more up-to-date kernel installed, but it wasn't being used. Running

sudo update-grub
doesn't seem to have any effect; it just maintains the current 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

What do you get with

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-headers
?
marc1uk

Post by marc1uk »

Gerd50 wrote:What do you get with

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-headers
?

marc@minihal:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-headers
linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64			install
linux-headers-3.0.0-1-common			install
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-amd64			install
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-common			install
linux-headers-amd64				install
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

hmm, now the output of

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
please and

uname -a
marc1uk

Post by marc1uk »

Gerd50 wrote:hmm, now the output of

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
please and

uname -a
Thanks for sticking with me on this.

marc@minihal:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64			install
marc@minihal:~$ uname -a
Linux minihal 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 03:59:20 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Riight, so i don't actually have the kernel 3.0's installed, just the headers.. whoops. I'll install linux-image-3.0.0.1-amd64 and get back. Still not sure how UP3 installed without the 3.0 kernel.
marc1uk

Post by marc1uk »

Success! I've now got the kernel 3.0 on Grub and was able to run th previous installations that were getting stuck without a problem. Thanks Gerd50!
If you recommend any other checks or to make sure nothing else is missing, or have any idea what might of caused this to avoid in the future that would be great too. The fact that MintUpdate-debian wasn't suggesting kernel-3.0 as an update still has me a little anxious that the update system still might not be quite right.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

If your system now works with kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64 you can remove the packages linux-headers-3.1.0-1-amd64,
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-common and linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64. Stay with the latest testing sources and wait for
update pack4. Don't play with the sources.list, if you don't know exactly what you are doing :wink:
marc1uk

Post by marc1uk »

Gerd50 wrote:If your system now works with kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64 you can remove the packages linux-headers-3.1.0-1-amd64,
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-common and linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64. Stay with the latest testing sources and wait for
update pack4. Don't play with the sources.list, if you don't know exactly what you are doing :wink:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it, and if you can't fix it don't break it" then? :D Got it. Thanks again.
Gerd50

Re: [SOLVED] Still using kernel 2.6.32-5 after Update Pack

Post by Gerd50 »

Yes, exactly that. But if you want to play with your system on an adventurous way, first backup :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=89189

Return to “LMDE Archive”