Did Updates get a Trickle? (answered)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jjaythomas

Did Updates get a Trickle? (answered)

Post by jjaythomas »

I had to reinstall LMDE (XFCE) because of messing around with a new tablet (Thinkpad x200T) (atleast new to me :lol: ) and Borked the Tab.
I seem to rememer the # of updates being 3-4 less then they were this time. And I now have Firefox 9 with Duck Duck Go.
Is it my imagination or did LMDE pack 3 actually get a couple of updates?

J.Jay

Sorry just had to say thought Clem closed the 'Sleeping Distro' discussion very elegently.
J.Jay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stz*j

Re: Did Updates get a Trickle?

Post by stz*j »

No, it's not your imagination (too bad :P). I can confirm that Firefox 9 IS part of the updates today. Not that big a matter for me, but glad that it trickled through :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thanks for confirmation 'I thought maybe I was always Upgrading UPs wrong till now' :o

J.Jay
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I think you will find Firefox is NOT part of the Update Packs because it comes from the Linuxmint Packages repos not Debian Testing copies used for update packs. So, there may be a trickle of updates in those repos but nothing in "Packs".

Not before time that Firefox has had an update as well. Getting a bit embarrassing for the so-called new "wonder kid" of Linux to be languishing at v5 of Firefox?!

Clem made it quite clear (in his closing the 'Sleeping Distro' thread) that LMDE-Xfce users can "take a hike" regards updates until he is good & ready - even though the Gnome3 issues have little or no bearing on them AT ALL!

I am currently migrating over 100 users off LMDE-Xfce ( as there is no interest in supporting that distro here whatsoever). Last night, did another fresh install of Debian Testing weekly build with Xfce DE, added all relevant codecs, drivers etc and a handful of updates to be up & running (themed according to preferences) within about one & a half hours, start to finish. It would take longer than that just to download the upgrade packages to shift LMDE to Testing!! (Clem's suggestion) :(

Good luck with the waiting.
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Hooray! FF9 in LMDE testing! I switched to using Iceweasel because of FF being stuck at 5. I will switch back again now.
As for update packs - least said, soonest mended :(

Edit. I just did this and for some bizarre reason I ended up with the Afrikaans localisation :shock: - makes it a little tricky to use!

If anyone else has a similar problem you can fix it by going into Synaptic, removing the incorrect language pack and adding the correct one.
longtom

Post by longtom »

viking777 wrote:Hooray! FF9 in LMDE testing! I switched to using Iceweasel because of FF being stuck at 5. I will switch back again now.
As for update packs - least said, soonest mended :(

Edit. I just did this and for some bizarre reason I ended up with the Afrikaans localisation :shock: - makes it a little tricky to use!

If anyone else has a similar problem you can fix it by going into Synaptic, removing the incorrect language pack and adding the correct one.
Clem knows I joined the ring of LMDE xcfe users and he felt obliged to localise FF for me. I appreciate this but didn't expect anything less .... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you need any help with translations let me know .... :lol: :P
Arran

Post by Arran »

viking777 wrote:Edit. I just did this and for some bizarre reason I ended up with the Afrikaans localisation :shock: - makes it a little tricky to use!
A little reminder to Ubuntu's roots...

I stick with ICEWEASEL. No need for me to change a winning horse.

Return to “LMDE Archive”