The appearance of Linux Mint 12

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DarkHououmon

The appearance of Linux Mint 12

Post by DarkHououmon »

I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm not really asking about any real issue, though. It's just a general question I have regarding the new release. There's something I'm confused about.

I usually see Linux Mint 12 looking like this:

http://distrowatch.com/images/cgfjoewdlbc/mint.png

But when I installed it using Virtualbox, the interface looks more like this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/ ... intalt.png

Is there any reason for this?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arrow2Knee

Re: The appearance of Linux Mint 12

Post by Arrow2Knee »

DarkHououmon wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm not really asking about any real issue, though. It's just a general question I have regarding the new release. There's something I'm confused about.

Can't see the first image
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

Install cinnamon:
sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-session
Then from the login, right click on the round thing, in the right-uppercorner of your username, and change the DE to cinnamon, then log in
DarkHououmon

Post by DarkHououmon »

Ah so that's what it was.

Thank you.
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

DarkHououmon wrote:Ah so that's what it was.

Thank you.
It works now?
DarkHououmon

Post by DarkHououmon »

I am able to switch themes now. MATE works, but when I try to switch to Cinnamon to work, it still looks the same as the GNOME theme that was up previously. I chalked it up to it being in a slightly outdated virtual machine program (I have not updated Virtualbox yet). I had the same issue with Ubuntu when it first switched to Unity. Virtualbox was not able to utilize the Unity interface and switched automatically to the older GNOME, so I assume the same thing is happening here, with the version of Virtualbox I have installed unable to utilize Cinnamon properly and automatically switching to an older GNOME-like theme instead.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

DarkHououmon wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm not really asking about any real issue, though. It's just a general question I have regarding the new release. There's something I'm confused about.

Don't know much about cinnamon, but virtualbox does not support Gnome3 interface, as it requires hardware acceleration, similar in case of Unity.

Thats the difference, it rolls backs to fallback mode, similar to gnome 2, but lacks gnome2's customization.

Nothing that can be done. If you run LIVE DVD, you will exp Gnome 3 with MGSE.

You could have posted it in newbie question, but lets leave it to mods :)

sometimes, even I am confused where to post, as I find similar posts in 2 sub-forums / categories :)
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

This is a quote from : Linux Mint 12 Tips and Tricks

Linux Mint 12 comes with the Virtualbox guest additions pre-installed, so it's possible to run the live session with Gnome Shell and MGSE.

Make sure to configure your virtual machine as follows:

Go to Machine->Settings->Display
Give the virtual machine as much Memory Video as possible.
Tick the checkbox "Enable 3D Acceleration"

Without 3D acceleration your virtual session will run in Fallback mode. If your settings are correct it will run with Gnome Shell and MGSE.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

mank_in wrote:This is a quote from : Linux Mint 12 Tips and Tricks

Linux Mint 12 comes with the Virtualbox guest additions pre-installed, so it's possible to run the live session with Gnome Shell and MGSE.

Make sure to configure your virtual machine as follows:

Go to Machine->Settings->Display
Give the virtual machine as much Memory Video as possible.
Tick the checkbox "Enable 3D Acceleration"

Without 3D acceleration your virtual session will run in Fallback mode. If your settings are correct it will run with Gnome Shell and MGSE.
Thanks mank_in

I had enabled 3D accelaration, but did not gave enough video memory. It's working now
spaceotter

Post by spaceotter »

Hi, I'm having the same problem, but it still doesn't work even after I cranked up the memory all the way (128MB) and enabled 3d acceleration.

inxi -Gx reveals:
Graphics: Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org 1.10.4 driver N/A Resolution 1920x968@60.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A

No driver? :?

Also I tried running cinnamon --replace, and it loaded but it was unusably slow.
It said something like:
Xlib: extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":1.0"

I am going to install a new copy of linux mint, with the settings right from the start and see if that makes a difference. My experience with linux has been perpetually fraught with graphics driver problems.

I have a non-virtual copy installed and I'm pretty sure I got the GNOME 3 interface after uninstalling the nvidia driver, when it didn't work before or after I installed it. It should be noted that the install disk could not boot on my dear new lappy, so I took the hard drive out of it and installed with another computer, and moved it back, then it worked.
spaceotter

Post by spaceotter »

I just checked the Additional Drivers tool and found out the virtualbox additions were not active, which is odd because mouse integration and bidirectional paste worked. I activated the drivers. It still goes to fallback mode, but when I use cinnamon --replace it loads cinnamon and operates at normal speed. gnome-shell --replace also loads the new interface.
So i guess the boot is messed up.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

spaceotter wrote:I just checked the Additional Drivers tool and found out the virtualbox additions were not active, which is odd because mouse integration and bidirectional paste worked. I activated the drivers. It still goes to fallback mode, but when I use cinnamon --replace it loads cinnamon and operates at normal speed. gnome-shell --replace also loads the new interface.
So i guess the boot is messed up.
From Series 4.x, there is no PEUL version or guest edition.

It is replaced by extension pack.
The best is to download Latest version 4.1.8 and install extension pack into the guest OS.

I do not download virtualbox from repos. Some even say that version between 4.0.x and 4.1 were a bit buggy. Try to latest virtualbox. It has an optional common code for registering key and installing through terminal.

Hardware acceleration sometimes does not work well with virtualbox, and it may have driver issues. It has it's own driver base. It eats up a lot of resources.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”