Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Tejas_0

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Post by Tejas_0 »

Mint 12 was going great guns, until repeated crashes of Software Manger while trying to install Opera. or Software Manger just simply did nothing and lost the 'Install' button as well as
fearnot wrote:Hi I found another problem with Linux Mint 12 when you try to type anything in the Software Manager you get the first word in but after that it doesn't let you add any more or you can't get the mouse inside that Window whats up with that I tried everything I can think of but with no success is there a fix for this?
Installation finally worked after 'apt-get update' & 'apt-get install opera'. Also installable via Synaptic. (Dry runs using Live iso from HD)
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

kmb42vt wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:At that point I generally end up having to Ctrl + Alt + F2 then reboot and it will be fine again.
A bit faster way of doing this is to Ctrl + Alt + F1 to a command prompt, login and type:

Code: Select all

sudo service lightdm restart
That will get you back to the login splash screen and you can log into your desktop the normal way. Saves having to reboot each time gnome-shell crashes and fails to restart.
Actually I got around to trying your suggestion a couple of times and for reasons unbeknownst to me it does not work properly on my PC.

It will as you say get me to the login screen but once I'm back there are all these flashing pixels spread out about the top quarter of my screen.

I've never ever seen that except for when I used your suggestion.
driekus

Post by driekus »

Well finally got around to installing Mint 12 after having used Mint for over a year now.
Excellent distribution and incredibly stable.
Given all the issues with Gnome 3 I was expecting a system less stable than Mint 11. I would have to say that Mint 12 is by far more stable on my system than Mint 11.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I recently installed LM 12 "Lisa" on my MacBook and so far I have mixed feelings about it, as I did about LM 11 "Katya". :| So far, my favorite Mint distro was 9 "Fluxbox," which worked best with my iMac and my MacBook. (BTW, my MacBook is now a Linux Book.) Meanwhile, can someone explain to me why Apple's iSight on the MacBook worked fine with LM 9, but not with the later distros? It's worked fine with the LM distros on the iMac. I've also been unsuccessful with the fixes from Mactel Support. :?

Perhaps after I use Lisa a little longer, I'll like it better. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

rfd wrote:either i'm doing something wrong or there is a different email/browser interaction with mint12 than with mint10 - when viewing an email with a link posting in the body content, clicking on that link in mint10 takes you right to that browser page every time ... however, in min12 you only get an alert and aren't taken to the browser page. what's up with that???
Sounds like your browser isn't set as the system default browser for some reason. And what's the alert you're getting? It helps to know especially if it's an alert asking you which program to use to open the link. Also which email client and browser are you using? If it's the one's that came with Linux Mint 12 (Thunderbird 8.0 and Firefox 8.0) it should work properly. If you're using another browser or email client then you'll have to make sure both are set as system defaults.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
gnetwork

Post by gnetwork »

excellent linux distro, best i have seen or used. gnome 3 with extensions, including those that install from http://extensions.gnome.org makes a beaut customisable desktop. lighter and easier than ubuntu, and more stable too.
i see the comment above on this page, re the software center, and i agree it is a little slow (at times buggy) and probably the only weak spot in linux mint.
Linux Mint 12 tweaks i found to improve even more, are here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813
Rating: 5 stars
partharay

Post by partharay »

i have downloaded and installed linux mint 12 ( 64 bits) but unable to access internet as it is showing wired - cable unplugged. i am using bsnl broadband (India) ADSL MODEM ROUTER . same connection is working flawlessly in windows 7 64 bits which is installed along with linux mint. kindly help.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

partharay wrote:i have downloaded and installed linux mint 12 ( 64 bits) but unable to access internet as it is showing wired - cable unplugged. i am using bsnl broadband (India) ADSL MODEM ROUTER . same connection is working flawlessly in windows 7 64 bits which is installed along with linux mint. kindly help.

Hi,

Does is the ethernet connection password protected?
Does your BSNL network show up in the list of available networks? (Unless there are other wireless networks in the range, your network should be the only one showing.
You can change the network settings (security levels, allowed MAC addresses, password etc.) by accessing the following IP address through your web browser: 192.168.1.1
The default settings are as follows (unless you have changed them):
username: admin
password: admin

Hope it works out for you.
(Of course, I'm assuming the wired connection is actually connected via an ethernet/USB cable :) )

Edit: @Moderators: Please correct me if I'm wrong.
@ partharay: Also, in future, it is better to post such specific technical questions as a new, separate post/thread with its own heading, under the appropriate topics. The current thread is a tad generic and your question might get lost in the thread or there might be undue delays in getting replies.
Welcome to Mint!
gazumo

Post by gazumo »

Great improvment on LM 10. especially with the ability to use either gnome or mate, look forward to more improvements as gnome is a very good alternative to windows 7,
kook78

Post by kook78 »

Hey all Ive been using Ubuntu for about 5 years off and on, for 2 years full time. I have found that so many people complain when they change something and they just want the things to work. I am currently using Dual Boot, Linux Mint 12 and Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha. Love them both. Linux mint is great due to the way it just works 'out of the box' so to speak. I love the terminal colour change as you go to super user via sudo, it reminds you at a glance that you are a super user. Ubuntu jsut says 'root' before your normal terminal prompt. I would love to see the ability under Gnome 3 to put apps in the notification bar like E-Mail, ksplice intergration which i installed under Ubuntu 11.10, and updated wine lists on the Repos. Ubuntu is Cleaning up unity, but not really changing it much. Keep up the good work Linux Mint developers.

How do i get a copy of Linux Mint Pre releases at pre RC stage so i can test it out. I use it on a Compaq CQ61-329TU, and have zero issues.

I look forward to the new releases and love the layout of the Mint Menu bar!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

How do i get a copy of Linux Mint Pre releases at pre RC stage so i can test it out. I use it on a Compaq CQ61-329TU, and have zero issues.

Mint only has a short period of public testing prior to release - in this aspect Ubuntu does the hard work and Mint co-reaps the benefits. Immediately after the final release of Ubuntu 12.04 you can start looking for Mint pre-releases.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

kook78 wrote:

So far, only RCs have ever been released to the general public. There is a small testing and QA group that assist Clem (lead developer) in testing the pre-release versions but I have no clue as to how one would apply for admisssion to this group as a tester.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:

Mint only has a short period of public testing prior to release - in this aspect Ubuntu does the hard work and Mint co-reaps the benefits. Immediately after the final release of Ubuntu 12.04 you can start looking for Mint pre-releases.
Well, yes and no. You'll probably not see the next Main Edition RC of Linux Mint until about a month after the latest version Ubuntu is released. And there's actually an awful lot of work that the Mint devs put into each release prior to releasing an RC. Let's just say the hard work is mutual on both Ubuntu's and Mint's part. :D
Snakeman

Post by Snakeman »

Tried installing Mint 12 yesterday again but this time used newer Ati drivers than the proprietary ones using a guide from the hardware section of this site. Same problems still (distorted menus) and without, the my laptop overheats. My processor is also of amd origin, possible that too is part of the problem.

With these experiences I will surely steer away from amd products in the future unless the manufacturer begins paying much more attention to Linux users. The Mint 12 overall is not as much to my liking than 11 due to newer gnome and, with my little experience, less customisability but it would be great to try it in more lengthy sessions. Reverted back to 11 again for now, though.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Proving Lisa in Live Mode
  • Clarity and Ease of Time Zone setting thru Map. (+)
  • VLC Player appears not to consume cache. but fickle. (-)
VLC Player
  1. Either starts with no sound or starts with sound, but after a few seconds goes mute.
  2. Sound normal, but after a pause in play of several minutes sound is lost:

mint@mint ~ $ lsof | grep pcm
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() tmpfs file system /cow
          Output information may be incomplete.
    pulseaudi 3561       mint  mem       CHR      116,3             16420 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
    pulseaudi 3561       mint   27u      CHR      116,3       0t0   16420 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
    vlc       3858       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13624   51915 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/liblpcm_plugin.so
    vlc       3858       mint  mem       REG        7,1     22164   52230 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    vlc       3858       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13628   51929 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libadpcm_plugin.so
    plugin-co 4276       mint  mem       REG        7,1     22164   52230 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

mint@mint ~ $ kill 3561
    Resume play -> No sound
    mint@mint ~ $ kill 4276
    Resume play -> No sound
    mint@mint ~ $ kill 3858
    VLC Player Terminates but upon Restart of VLC Player Sound Returns!
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

Excellent Distro, works out of the box in my Intel G43 Chipset.
ElectricLotus

Post by ElectricLotus »

Impressed with the latest release. As for why the display with Gnome 3 is flaky when hipped to Ati Catalyst, I suspect screen resolution may be an issue (1366x768), where windows get a diagonal upside shift, depending on their width x length, and screen flicker with flag checkers (like a chess board, kinda...)

Otherwise, quite fine using gnome classic, just wishing I could put some Cinnamon in my Cool-Aid :)

Cheers !
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

I'm sorry ahead of time for this post, because I'm sure it has already been answered somewhere, but:

Where do I download a copy of the Live DVD for LM 12 KDE RC?

I have spent the last 30-45 minutes rummaging around the forums and the Community website.

Thanks for any direction you can give me...

Hawkeye
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:Where do I download a copy of the Live DVD for LM 12 KDE RC?

I have spent the last 30-45 minutes rummaging around the forums and the Community website.
You should've looked at this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=200
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

For others that may be as lost as I was, you can get LM 12 KDE RC on your favorite mirror, here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php

Hawkeye

Return to “Releases & Announcements”