<SOLVED>New Sticky/Tutorial?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

<SOLVED>New Sticky/Tutorial?

Post by marsh20 »

Would it be worth having a dedicated thread for Dual (muti) booting? As there is a lot of questions on "Newbie Questions" and "Boot and Instalation" for the various configurations people have and the various possible resolutions scenarios available?
Last edited by marsh20 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: New Sticky/Tutorial?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

I'll share your idea with the team. The user guide covers the "install alongside" option, which makes dual boot installation a one-click operation:
In the next screen you can assign your entire hard drive to Linux Mint or install it alongside other operating systems. Alternatively, you can also define and assign the partitions manually.

If you choose to use the entire disk, its content will be erased and Linux Mint will be installed as the only operating system on your computer. If you choose to install it alongside other operating systems, the installer will use the free space available on other partitions to create a new one for Linux Mint.

You will be asked how much space you want to allocate to it. The installer will then shrink a partition and take care of everything for you. Post-installation your computer will have a boot screen from which you'll be able to boot all your operating systems.
-
If you choose to specify partitions manually, a partition editor will appear, giving you full control over the partitioning of your hard drive. This is recommended only to advanced users who understand how partitioning works under Linux. Note that Linux Mint requires a partition of at least 3GB and that the recommended size for a swap partition is 1.5 times the amount of RAM available on the computer.
There are various topics covering this also on the community website; like this one http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/571.

An extensive tutorial I found is for Linux Mint 11 and Windows 7 dual booting, without using the "install alongside" option offered by the installer (doing everything manually): http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/11/du ... windows-7/
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Vicent,

Many thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

After discussion with the team, the installer offers a "one-click" option to install alongside an existing operating system, and this is covered in the user manual also. Could you share some topics you would want covered in the "dual booting" sticky? Just looking for what you think is missing in some more detail.

marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Vincent,

Whilst trying to reasearch the scenario I had and what I wanted to do, I found a lot of threads and advice (all very constructive and helpful) but none exactly my situation and exactly what I wanted to do or in a way I understood. All this advice was spread over lots of old topics and numerous questions and subjects. I just thought that having a seperate place for dual(multi)-boot questions/advice would be helpful for us newbies that are willing to look around first.

Marsh20
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The user guide has been made a sticky in the installation & boot forum: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91140

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”