Connecting LMDE to WHS shares

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Important information

Connecting LMDE to WHS shares

Postby pierrotlunairehh on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:05 am

Hi, Folks!
After spending hours on searching for hints and help on the web I finally ask for your advice.

I am required to use Windows Home Server (as shipped with my Acer Easystore) to operate a homeserver/NAS in a microsoft-dominated household. While that might be my first fail (xD), here is my problem:
LMDE, which I'm currently using as my main OS, AND Mint_classic both fail to connect or show the shared directories via the network-browser / nautilus in gnome.
The server can be addressed using Firefox, ping and rdesktop, but still giving me no chance to mount the location.

Network-browser does recognise and list the domain created/used by the server but fails to access/mount, supplying the following error-message: "Einhängen des Ortes nicht möglich - Empfangen der Speicherliste vom Server ist gescheitert",
which would roughly translate as: "Unable to mount location - failed to receive volume-/memorylist from server."

Samba-packages and services are installed and running, the server can be properly addressed from any win7-machine.

Thanks for aiding my nooby self xD

chris
System: Kernel 2.6.39-2-amd64 x86_64 - LMDE;
Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q6600;
nVidia G92 [GeForce 9800 GTX] X.Org 1.10.2.902;
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3 Direct Rendering Yes
pierrotlunairehh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Connecting LMDE to WHS shares

Postby sanderd on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:13 pm

hi Chris,

I experience the same problem: my XP PC shows up in nautilus in WORKGROUP but no shares ;(

just so you know you're not alone ;)

hg.
Sander
sanderd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lebigouden on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:32 am

Hi guys,

First, you need to have smbfs installed. If you don't do this:

aptitude update
aptitude install smbfs

To mount windows share drive you need to create a folder:

mkdir somefolder

As root or with root privileges (su root or sudo)
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=password //windowsservername/folder /home/lucas/somefolder

If you don't want the password to show up you could do
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator //windowsservername/folder /home/lucas/somefolder
[Optional] You can replace administrator with your username. You can also replace windowsservername with ip address //192.168.1.10/folder ....

HowTo found on the debian wiki, here: http://wiki.debian.org/Manual-Howto#Mount_Windows_Share
lebigouden
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pierrotlunairehh on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 am

Folks, I did it! xD

took me ages, nothing worked... but maybe you have to google the same bloody thing a dozen times to see the light...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149
i was up and running after step two!

good luck and thx for your aid!

chris
System: Kernel 2.6.39-2-amd64 x86_64 - LMDE;
Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q6600;
nVidia G92 [GeForce 9800 GTX] X.Org 1.10.2.902;
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3 Direct Rendering Yes
pierrotlunairehh
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other networking topics