Firefox OS, powered by Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Uchiha_Kori

Firefox OS, powered by Linux Mint

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

I just came up with another stupid idea. I think Linux Mint and Mozilla both could hit it big if they combined efforts to create Firefox OS. Firefox OS could be designed around Linux Mint and made for netbooks. It would compete with Chrome OS an may put Firefox back on top. What's your opinion? Does anyone other than me think this could be a good move, or do you think it's just a tacky idea?

Again, I just support the idea. I do not take any role in actually developing it, but I would still like the opinions of the forums here.

-Kori
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Firefox OS, powered by Linux Mint

Post by dagon »

Moved here by moderator
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

what will be the unique "selling" proposition?

I think atm most people don't need or have an advantage running a web-only OS like Google's Chrome OS. They (we) enjoy the huge choice we have: pick a distro (or more), install it, customize it ...

If one like to create something web-only like Chrome OS he will need a huuuuge infrastructure of servers. Who apart from Google will be able and interested to set it up and to pay for it?

btw: there's ChromiumOS if you don't like to buy a new machine.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

ej64 wrote:what will be the unique "selling" proposition?

btw: there's ChromiumOS if you don't like to buy a new machine.
1.2 GB for a browser !!!!!

btw, you can try chromium lime by hexxeh. Totally different /opposite concept than mint is focused.

related in community

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/subscribe/2223
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

Thanks for the replies and opinions guys. I just thought it would be something to bring up is all.

-Kori
Zukaro Travon

Post by Zukaro Travon »

There's also JoliOS, another cloud based operating system. But I actually like JoliOS as opposed to Chromium OS (you can access JoliOS from a web browser or boot it up on your computer).

Most people don't want operating systems that are entirely cloud based/require Internet access in order to use. Personally I think JoliOS is the best cloud based operating system (that I know of anyways) as you don't NEED to install it to use it, and it's easy to install alongside other operating systems (unlike Chromium OS).

http://www.jolicloud.com/ <---if you want to take a look it's there.
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

It was just another one of my stupid ideas lol.
Zukaro Travon

Post by Zukaro Travon »

I'd use it. :V
(*but that's just cuz I <3 foxes and it'd have a fox as the mascot :3*)

:P
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

there are some more like Pippermint OS by Mint LXDE Dev Kendal and there is a derivative of puppy linux called browserlinux.

Even Bodhi Linux has minimal apps (just 3) to begin with.
hellfire695

Post by hellfire695 »

Hrm could be interesting. I however feel that chrome os is a step backwards, given that modern netbooks have plenty of power to run a full featured modern os (though many have difficulty running win7)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”