Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 16)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by merlwiz79 »

Sorry for the delay but been very busy.
Didn't get to sit down and rest until 7PM last night.

I have gotten gnome-tweak-tool to work with both Cinnamon and Gnome Shell.
Only thing not working at the moment for Cinnamon is themes.
Also have to finish adding messages for Cinnamon.
It's not done yet but hopefully I can get it done tonight.
I'm also testing some extensions and seeing which ones works.
zenrox

Post by zenrox »

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-extensions
should check out this url for some extentions i am useing these and thay work
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok I just got done reconfiguring gnome-tweak-tool(Advanced Settings) to work with bot Gnome Shell and Cinnamon.
Even got most of the translations setup for Cinnamon.
It does show shell themes for Cinnamon though.
Shell themes don't seem to work well for Cinnamon either.

Launchpad says the build will start in 10 hrs. :(
Edit:
You can test it before it hits the PPA if you want.
gnome-tweak-tool.zip
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

But Cinnamon is gonna come with its own settings tool if github is anything to go by.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

bimsebasse wrote:But Cinnamon is gonna come with its own settings tool if github is anything to go by.
Yes but it's not done yet.
The one built by Clem will have more options.

Edit: I hope tomorrow I can finish the extensions packages.
crzen

Post by crzen »

I downloaded it and will give it a try. Thanks!!! :D

As a temp fix why not just eliminate the call for shell themes while in cinnamon and vice-versa. At least until the the cross compatibility issue gets fixed? :)
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hello Merl;

I got LM 12 installed on my new machine, installed mate and did the same with cinnamon + PPA's. Thing is, I don't really see much difference between the two except the fact that one has the panel on the bottom and the other it's on the top. In cinnamon, I'm not able to resize the panel bar or to add any items on it......is this what you're working on, cause the bar is so tiny, I can barely read anything on it...lol...must be age :shock: you think?....anyway, I really like cinnamon and mate they're very cool....I have mate on my LMDE/Sid laptop...very nice, of course I do miss the update manager icon on the systray to see when updates are ready or in....change is good I guess.....cheers

Andrew

P.S. Great work from you, stefano-k & clem with mate and cinnamon.......Hats off to you all
Would also like to see cinnamon for LMDE...that would be very cool :D
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

In my limited experience while Gnome Shell themes do work with Cinnamon, they don't work well, leaving some part un-themed. Reading through the issues for Cinnamon on github Clem seemed to come up with a solution which would at least allow them to be compatible.

While Gnome Tweak tool working for Cinnamon would be very nice I'm concerned at the wealth of options for configuring Cinnamon. We have Gnome Tweak Tool, System Settings, and soon, Cinnamon Settings. The first two work to varying degrees right now while the third will work completely. Most likely some, if not all, have features which overlap each other.

I assume in a future release Cinnamon will be it's own edition (maybe dropping the Gnome Shell w/ extensions) and this overlap of settings programs will be resolved, but for now it's awfully confusing.

Very much looking forward to trying out the new extensions as well as this new tool.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

andrew5859 wrote:Hello Merl;

I got LM 12 installed on my new machine, installed mate and did the same with cinnamon + PPA's. Thing is, I don't really see much difference between the two except the fact that one has the panel on the bottom and the other it's on the top. In cinnamon, I'm not able to resize the panel bar or to add any items on it......is this what you're working on, cause the bar is so tiny, I can barely read anything on it...lol...must be age :shock: you think?....anyway, I really like cinnamon and mate they're very cool....I have mate on my LMDE/Sid laptop...very nice, of course I do miss the update manager icon on the systray to see when updates are ready or in....change is good I guess.....cheers

Andrew

P.S. Great work from you, stefano-k & clem with mate and cinnamon.......Hats off to you all
Would also like to see cinnamon for LMDE...that would be very cool :D
For future reference, you don't have to install cinnamon through ppa's, just through "apt install cinnamon-session" if you're using mint 12 (you need the ppa for ubuntu). Not sure what you're talking about in regard to the one with the panel on the top (Both are on the bottom by default. You can't even move it to the top in cinnamon). Also, you can add launchers to the panel on both (if you are using cinnamon 1.1.3 or later, although the later part doesn't exist yet), although adding other items to the panel doesn't exist yet in cinnamon. Until that feature is added, extensions (which there aren't many of ATM) will allow you to add things to the panels and the desktop in general. There is a way to change the panel height, but it involves editing css files and I can't find the post which explained how to do it. Also not sure what you're talking about with the update manager icon being in the systray, as it is in cinnamon by default, and I think it's there by default in mate.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I patched Cinnamon Setttings to work with the current version in the PPA.
It has less settings then gnome-tweak-tool(Advanced Settings).
It also has no translations.

PPA is slow and says it'll take 7 hours to build. :(
You can test it before it hits the repo here:
cinnamon-settings.tar.gz
Got everything done for today in the morning so I have more time to work then expected.
Now to work on some extensions.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Thanks merlwiz!

It looks ... pretty basic thus far :D

Basically an extra graphical layer on the org/cinnamon section in dconf Editor with themes and extensions.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok I have ported the gnome-shell-extension-weather to cinnamon.
It's already in the repo as cinnamon-extension-weather.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extension-weather
Also been working on others and should have more done soon.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

It looks like these extensions won't work in 1.1.4.
clem wrote:Because the differences between Cinnamon and Gnome Shell are not superficial. The two projects are going towards opposite directions and when it comes to themes and extensions it's more important to us that they work well and are well supported rather than them being close to their Gnome shell alternatives. If there are huge chunks of code we don't want in Cinnamon that come from Gnome shell, we need to remove them.. it simplifies dependencies, reduces technical debt, makes maintenance easier etc etc.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

merlwiz79 wrote:It looks like these extensions won't work in 1.1.4.
clem wrote:Because the differences between Cinnamon and Gnome Shell are not superficial. The two projects are going towards opposite directions and when it comes to themes and extensions it's more important to us that they work well and are well supported rather than them being close to their Gnome shell alternatives. If there are huge chunks of code we don't want in Cinnamon that come from Gnome shell, we need to remove them.. it simplifies dependencies, reduces technical debt, makes maintenance easier etc etc.
That sounds wrong to me. IMHO compatibility with Gnome Shell should be one of the main objectives, if the two start to diverge too much Cinnamon will lose synergy with the GS dev community.

Rehdon
crzen

Post by crzen »

@merlwiz79, Thats a shame. :( I like what you have done with the extensions so far. I really like the weather extension. Maybe there will be a way to make it work in 1.1.4. :twisted:

(EDIT): I just installed the latest cinnamon-session from update manager. The weather extension still works. :D Maybe it didnt include 1.1.4?
(EDIT2) Just checked synaptic it was only for session 1.0.1 not to cinnamon1.1.4. so I have more time. :D
Last edited by crzen on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

crzen wrote:@merlwiz79, Thats a shame. :( I like what you have done with the extensions so far. I really like the weather extension. Maybe there will be a way to make it work in 1.1.4. :twisted:

(EDIT): I just installed the latest cinnamon-session from update manager. The weather extension still works. :D Maybe it didnt include 1.1.4?
It will have to be completely rewritten since they have changed Cinnamon a lot.
It's not even using Mutter anymore they forked Mutter to Muffin.
Muffin doesn't even compile on Ubuntu 12.04 cause of all the Gnome 3 changes.
I probably won't be able to get extensions working with 1.1.4.
Cinnamon 1.1.4 isn't even finished yet.
The cinnamon-session only adds the option to login to the Cinnamon desktop.
crzen

Post by crzen »

t will have to be completely rewritten since they have changed Cinnamon a lot.
It's not even using Mutter anymore they forked Mutter to Muffin.
Muffin doesn't even compile on Ubuntu 12.04 cause of all the Gnome 3 changes.
I probably won't be able to get extensions working with 1.1.4.
If I was any good at coding I would give it a try, but I'll leave it to you experts.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I forgot to add I setup the repo for Ubuntu Precise 12.04.
I had emails asking for it so I built the packages.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu precise main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu precise main 
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I finally got the package finished.
Not everything is translated.

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extensions-auto-move-windows cinnamon-extensions-dock cinnamon-extensions-drive-menu cinnamon-extensions-places-menu cinnamon-extensions-trash cinnamon-extensions-windows-navigator cinnamon-extensions-xrandr-indicator
Just use Cinnamon Settings to enable.
Also the dock has a new hide-effect called move.
I prefer this effect.
Now I'm off to sleep.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Well deserved sleep, thanks for all that work! :=)

Rehdon

Return to “Cinnamon”