KDE 4.0 Released!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
facade47

KDE 4.0 Released!

Post by facade47 »

KDE 4.0 was released today! :D

I haven't been keeping up with the development, so the screenshots really surprised me. I think I'm really going to like this new version!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE 4.0 Released!

Post by belovedmonster »

It looks nice and its indicative of the way Linux is starting to take the way it looks seriously rather than being the ugly one at the party, but really its gunna be another year before all the underlining new technologies are stable enough and mature enough that you would wanna say its "ready".
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

The ugly one at the party....LOL! I think that looks pretty sweet! I wish that gnome would take a hint and enhance the visuals just a little. I've used KDE in the past, but always come back to gnome. I guess it's just more comfortable for me. Maybe I will give KDE another try. Do you think the next community edition will have 4.0?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

If by the next community edition you mean the one coming out in a week or so. No.

If you mean the one in 6 months time, probably not.

Don't let the name of KDE 4.0 fool you, its basically KDE4 version 0.001. It will be another year before its the default in most KDE distros.
molom

Post by molom »

I thought there was going to be a huge difference between KDE 3 and KDE 4. I thought it was going to be like when Mac OS 9 jumped to Mac OS 10. But I was wrong. I think theres just a change in speed and some of the looks, its just a little step they've taken and its still not stable. I thought there was going to be a nice innovative start menu, but that also thought wrong.

Cheers,
molom
Last edited by molom on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

molom wrote:I thought there was going to be a huge difference between KDE 3 and KDE 4. I thought it was going to be like when Mac OS 9 jumped to Mac OS 10. But I was wrong. I think theres just a change in speed and some of the looks, its just a little step they've taken and its still not stable. I thought there was going to be a nice innovative start menu, but that also was thought wrong.

Dude, have you read a detailed list of all the changes? KDE4 has huge amounts of under the hood changes, and these changes will lay the groundwork for the next 10 years of KDE. Just because it doesn't have a hologramatic 3D desktop doesn't mean its not a huge improvement. :wink:

Put it this way, once KDE4 is stable it will trounce Gnome with its under the hood technologies.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I caught the other post talking about the community release. I totally understand....especially now since realizing that it's a first release.

Return to “Chat about Linux”