Boot Failure After Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkeller

Boot Failure After Install

Post by mkeller »

I am a one-time user of Kubuntu. Actually, it's not that long ago. I began to have a number of odd problems, though, which, eventually, culminated in the following message (and then an eternal hang) every time I booted:

Code: Select all

* Starting kernel event manager . . .                                                          [ OK ]
 * Loading hardware drivers . . .
udevd-event[3421]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe/' abnormal exit
                                                                                               [fail]
 * Setting system clock
 * Loading kernel modules . . .
 * Loading manual drivers . . .
I decided to reinstall (since I couldn't use my system anyway), and did - and got the same error code, from the first boot on. So I began distro-hopping, and tried a few that I didn't like, until I came to Mint. The first time I tried the Live CD, I was hooked. (compiz-out-of-the-box + nice wallpaper + tasty menu + nice window decorations = my thing) And so I installed it - and I get the same error!

I've found, as a result of some Googling around, that the error has to do with a bug in the 2.6.22 version of the kernel, that makes it not like certain brands of hard-drives, and mine is one of them. Older and newer kernel versions work fine, but this particular version is what Gutsy is built on, and Gutsy is what Daryna is built on, hence the problem.

So, what I'm wondering is, whether there is a new version of Mint available (an alpha or something?) that uses 2.6.24 or newer. And if not - how long will it be till there is one? It'll really hurt using Windows until then . . . :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mkeller

Re: Boot Failure After Install

Post by mkeller »

Thanks, guys! be80be, I'm more inclined to follow your advice, since I'd rather not use any older version than absolutely necessary, and what you said sounds like it ought to work. But either you were typing too fast, and made a mistake, or I've got some problems. Since my harddrive was already mounted (/media/disk), I skipped right to "mount -t proc /mnt/proc". But it didn't work. I tried "mount -t /proc /mnt/proc", and that didn't work either. What's it really supposed to be? (the chroot worked fine, though)

Also: apt-get update failed at 97%, with a message:

117B/s 0sFATAL -> Could not set non-blocking flag Bad file descriptor
E: Method http has died unexpectedly! 
That's some problem of mine, though, I betcha. Everything works fine in Synaptic . . .

And: there is no 2.6.24 version of the kernel available, even though I enabled the universe repositories in Synaptic. There is a 2.6.17, but older=worser . . .

What repository would have the newer kernel in? I hear Hardy has it, so it might be one of it's. And (yes, I'm dumb) how do you enable extra repositories from the shell? I'm pretty sure enabling them in Synaptic isn't affecting it any, since the Synaptic opened from the menu sn't chrooted, and trying to run it from my chrooted shell says:

(synaptic:32335): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
mkeller

Post by mkeller »

I figured out how to enable the hardy repositories, by the way. Just run:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and change the "gutsy" in the first line of Ubuntu to "hardy".

The other stuff I do need help yet, on, though!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I fear the road you are going down will have many potholes and hard knocks before you get to the end.

To do what you are attempting, you will wind up with a semi-borked combination of gutsy, mint, and hardy! If this combination itself isn't bad enough, remember that hardy is still in alpha. You have more faith and brass than I do!

Your best bet is to drop back to Celena. You will get a clean, working, reliable system that should serve you well.

Good luck

Fred
mkeller

Post by mkeller »

Thanks, Fred and be80be!

Just using Celena would likely be easier, but aren't all the Celena packages outdated? It's based on Feisty, isn't it?

Since this is a fresh install, I don't really have anything to lose, so I'll try be80be's idea first (though if it doesn't work, I guess it will be Celena for me).

Actually, I just tried installing the newer kernel. Sadly, it didn't work right. Here's the output:

root@mint:/# dpkg -i linux-image*
Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.24-4-386.
(Reading database ... 87137 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-2.6.24-4-386 (from linux-image-2.6.24-4-386_2.6.24-4.6_i386.deb) ...
sh: cannot create /dev/null: Permission denied
Done.
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.24-4-386_2.6.24-4.6_i386.deb (--install):
 short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./lib/modules/2.6.24-4-386/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.ko')
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
/sbin/update-grub: 105: Syntax error: Bad function name
User postrm hook script [/sbin/update-grub] exited with value 2
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (Segmentation fault), core dumped
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-2.6.24-4-386_2.6.24-4.6_i386.deb
How can I fix that?

You can find the contents of my /boot/grub/menu.lst and my /etc/fstab here and here, respectively. Running fdisk -l didn't display anything. You actually wanted me to post the contents of these files after I get the kernel installed properly, though, right? I'll do that, once we've got it running.

Once again, thanks for all your help (and keep it coming ;))!
mkeller

Post by mkeller »

Hello again!

Sorry I've sort of deserted this thread. I was sick for a while, and then I had this big public speaking project to work on . . . but now I'm back. :D

Anyways, be80be, I tried doing what you suggested last, soon after you posted it, and it did actually install - but with a lot of errors. I was unable to post them anywhere, though, because I was using xterm, which doesn't work very good for that sort of thing. When I rebooted, the new kernel did show in the GRUB list, but when I tried running it, it failed not very far into the boot, with a lot of errors.

But right around that same time, my other, first hard drive, that has GRUB and Windows XP on it (this is a dual boot system) gave me a message that it was on the verge of death. So I backed up all my data, and ordered a new one, that actually is due to arrive today. Now, what do you think I should do - keep trying to get Mint working on the Maxtor drive I've been using all along, and install Windows on the new Hitachi one, or should I swap them, and put Mint on the Hitachi (which ought to work without a hitch)? I can use the Gnome terminal next time, so I can post any errors for analyzation, if we follow the first method.

Return to “Installation & Boot”