How to install cinelerra cv

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Angtagapagligt

How to install cinelerra cv

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hello,

the installation of Cinelerra seems to be confusing to new Linux (Mint) users. Many people want to use Cinelerra because it's very powerful and is nearly the only PROFESSIONAL video editing software. A little notice: For professional video editing you should use a combination of for example Kino and Cinelerra. That's why I'll explain how you can install Kino, too.

What we do here is installing the Cinelerra community version (CV) http://cinelerra.org/. There are no real difference to the "normal" version for the end-user. The CV-team just made it easier to setup the software.

1. Adding the PPA repository to Linux Mint

Adding a PPA repository to Linux Mint means that you expand the synaptic software pool from your OS. In our case we give Linux Mint the possibility to install cinelerra. We have to tell the OS where he can find the needed files.
Adding the PPA goes like this:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cinelerra-ppa/ppa
Now we have to update the software sources which can be handled by the OS:

sudo apt-get update

2. Installing Cinelerra

Now Linux Mint knows where it can find the Cinelerra package to install the software. So we just have to do the common command:

sudo apt-get install cinelerra
Now it gets installed automaticly like every other software from the synaptic does.

3. Installing Kino

As I said before you also have to install Kino to do professional video editing. That's why you have to run:

sudo apt-get install kino
Kino is also a video editing program. But it's more for common use. But you can add text boxes and such things which you couldn't do so easily in Cinelerra. So use Cinelerra for the final cut and for the rest take Kino.

That's it.

Know you should have two buttons in your menu in the categorie "multimedia".
Have fun!

Angtagapagligt
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to install cinelerra cv

Post by mpiter »

Thanks for these very clear explanations. :D
Pikolas

Post by Pikolas »

Thanks Angtagapagligt!

Just a question: why doesn't it show up on Synaptic?
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Pikolas wrote:Thanks Angtagapagligt!

Just a question: why doesn't it show up on Synaptic?
Cause the developer doesn't provide it :)

Edit:

He wrote that he provide a RPM (for "Red Hat"-Systems like Fedora (www.fedoraproject.org)). Maybe he doesn't like Debian that much ... :)

http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra ... ING-AN-RPM
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Nice one thanks, been looking for something I may be able to use instead of adobe, I WANT the best from both worlds LINUX and something like adobe or avid, hope it comes upto some thing decent, not expecting 100% but hey ho time will tell
dougzak

Post by dougzak »

Thanks Angtagapagligt!

Very clear installation instructions for a newbie...............installation went well and program seems to be workinng brilliantlly.

Dougzak
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

I'm glad that I could help you!
mjones41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjones41 »

Hi the new install is;

sudo apt-get install cinelerra-cv

thanks
Matt
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

mjones41 wrote:Hi the new install is;

sudo apt-get install cinelerra-cv

thanks
Matt
Thanks alot. I knew there was some change, I will love this software like my woman.

Return to “Tutorials”