[Solved] Executing a Script from a Keyboard Shortcut

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Josh117

[Solved] Executing a Script from a Keyboard Shortcut

Post by Josh117 »

Over the past few days, I have been looking for a way to make a script run after pressing a keyboard shortcut. After some searching online, I was not able to find a solution.

I want to be able to have a message box pop up that says "Linux is NOT Windows" whenever you press Ctrl-Alt-Del (because I like my computer to have personality :D).

This is my script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

zenity --warning --title='Ctrl-Alt-Del' --text='Linux is NOT Windows!'
exit 0
Then, I used the Commands plugin in Compiz to run the script and binding <Control><Alt>Delete to the command.

Unfortunately, this only resulted in every opened program to lock up for some reason...

I understand that there are some sources of error that could be the reason this does not work, such as Compiz doesn't allow this kind of thing, or I wrote the script wrong, and so on, but I do not know which one it is.

If someone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

Josh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Executing a Script from a Keyboard Shortcut

Post by xenopeek »

Open "Keyboard Shortcuts" from the menu. Add a new shortcut. Give it some name, and type the full path to your script, like so:

Code: Select all

bash -c /home/somebody/somewhere/myscript.bash
Then find your shortcut by name again, at the bottom of the list in the main window. Click at the end to set the keyboard shortcut.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

You can forgo the script and directly add the whole zenity line in the Command field. It's only a one-liner anyway. :wink:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Josh117

Post by Josh117 »

Thanks for the solutions; they both work wonderfully. Now I can't wait for a Windows user to fall into my trap...

Return to “Scripts & Bash”